We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Blank Pages

How do you mark a received CRF page as blank in OpenClinica?

Comments

• LizRLizR Posts: 60
    Hi Lance,
    Because I actually have to be able to report out that a page was addressed, even if it was left blank, I actually have 'mark if not done' boxes on my CRFs that could potentially be not done. That means that I can report it directly out of the datamart. This makes using the 'required' functionality on fields in the CRF building more or less useless, though, which makes validation more of a headache. For whole visits that are left blank, you can choose 'skipped' as the status (or just leave them alone).
    Liz Robertson
    Director of Data Management and IT
    TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    [email protected]
    office: 858.550.0780 ext. 237
    cell: 760.481.5527
  • willilx9willilx9 Posts: 40
    What's the most popular way to account for Blank Pages? Currently we are requiring that the a checkbox be selected for each Blank Page. We are looking for ideas. Cheers.
    I regret to admit that we use the blank checkbox because we actually want to be able to easily output that data to find protocol deviations. I'm also curious to know what others do.
    Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, May 20, 2013 11:47 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: [Developers] Blank Pages
    What's the most popular way to account for Blank Pages? Currently we are requiring that the a checkbox be selected for each Blank Page. We are looking for ideas. Cheers.
  • mhannahmhannah Posts: 11
    The issue of how to deal with blank fields, pages, and entries on things like adverse event logs, exercises us here at Dundee a lot – so very interested to see what others do!

Liz, Lance - I just wanted to clarify exactly what you are actually doing currently – do you have a check box on every single page/section in a CRF? Do you create rules to flag up logical discrepancies (like saying ‘yes’ to blank then filling in details). How does this work in conjunction with required fields? Codes for null values?

Michael

Michael Hannah
    Trial Database Manager
    Tayside Medical Science Centre
    Dundee, Scotland
    Sent: 21 May 2013 18:15
    Subject: Re: [Developers] Blank Pages

I regret to admit that we use the blank checkbox because we actually want to be able to easily output that data to find protocol deviations. I'm also curious to know what others do.

Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
    The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
    Hi Michael,
    Any page that has the possibility of being not done and if I care about tracking it for purposes of a protocol deviation, I give it the checkbox. It's the most straightforward way of accounting for deliberately not done things.
    I considered other options - missing pages reports aren't hard, but they don't indicate the deliberate will of the site. It answers the question, "Did you leave it blank because you forgot to fill it in, or because you neglected to do a thing I expected you to do?"
    Regards,
    Liz
    Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 5:00 AM
    The issue of how to deal with blank fields, pages, and entries on things like adverse event logs, exercises us here at Dundee a lot – so very interested to see what others do!

Liz, Lance - I just wanted to clarify exactly what you are actually doing currently – do you have a check box on every single page/section in a CRF? Do you create rules to flag up logical discrepancies (like saying ‘yes’ to blank then filling in details). How does this work in conjunction with required fields? Codes for null values?

Michael

Michael Hannah
    Trial Database Manager
    Tayside Medical Science Centre
    Dundee, Scotland
    Sent: 21 May 2013 18:15

Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
    The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
This discussion has been closed.