Please join your peers on either March 26 (8pm GMT) or March 28 (8am GMT) to watch as user extraordinaire and forum legend @"lindsay.stevens" demonstrates OpenClinica Insight.

See preview and register at https://openclinica.com/insight-webinar

Insight makes it easy to ask questions of ALL of your clinical and operational data and visualize answers via interactive reports and dashboards. The idea is simple, but the results are powerful: ask your questions, choose your visualizations, then return often for updated, interactive results that link you to all of the underlying data.

Cannot edit item (again) on completed CRF

Hi,

I have an issue where you cannot edit an item that has already been changed once before on an event CRF after it is marked as completed.

This occurs on versions 3.1.3.1 and 3.1.4

Steps to reproduce.

1. Open event CRF and enter values for all items
2. Mark as complete.
3. Open same event CRF in Administrative editing mode
4. Change an item’s value
5. Add a discrepancy note Type=Reason for Change, Status is set to Not Applicable.
6. Save and close the event CRF.
7. Re-open same event CRF in Administrative editing mode
8. Change the same item’s value.
9. Attempt to add discrepancy note, however cannot.

See the attached screen shot.

No user of any role can add a new discrepancy note to this item.

The workarounds I have found are removing the event CRF and then restoring which sets the event CRF back into initial data entry mode.
Or using a discrepancy note type of “Failed Validation Check”. Neither are great in practice.

Is this a known bug? I found this thread from earlier this year https://community.openclinica.com/discrepancy-note-status
However it does not appear that is was ever resolved.

Kind Regards,
Richard

dn.png
Attachments:
dn.png 37.5 KB

Comments

• lindsay.stevenslindsay.stevens Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    Hi Richard
    I checked if I could reproduce this error, and I can - kind of. The problem for me seems to be that in general, the 'Begin New Thread' link is disabled in the discrepancy note window (as it appears to be in your screen shot), regardless of the type of note that was first added - which means I'm only allowed to add one note per item..!
    This is happening for me in OpenClinica community, both 3.1.3.1 and 3.1.4, which I have running locally with windows 7, postgres 8.4, tomcat 6, firefox 19. I tried restarting tomcat but it was the same. These two instances share tomcat but have separate databases in the same server. I have only checked this behaviour using a Data Manager user.
    The problem does not appear to be present on the 3.1.3.1 Enterprise installations we have - which are on the same stack versions as above but with windows server 2003.
    Are your versions community or enterprise? Any other setup info you can share would probably help us both get a fix for this. I didn't look very hard but there isn't an obvious existing ticket for this issue in Jira.
    In the mean time, I found a couple of workarounds you might consider. Both of them let you see the 'Begin New Thread' form in the discrepancy note window, which is still active and functional, despite being hidden. Once you can interact with the form, you can create additional note threads and therefore OpenClinca should allow you to change the value in administrative data entry more than once.
    Workaround No.1 (firefox 19):
    1. Click on the flag to open the discrepancy note window
    2. Click on the discrepancy note window URL
    3. Press ALT + ENTER, which opens the URL in a new window that isn't modal (i.e. has menus)
    4. Make yourself a bookmark, whose location is: javascript:addText('a0','Begin%20New%20Thread');
    5. Click the bookmark on your new window from Step 4. This javascript re-activates the 'Begin New Thread' link.
    6. Click the Begin New Thread link and add the discrepancy note.
    Workaround No.1 (ie10):
    1. Go to internet options -> General -> Tabs -> Always open pop-ups in new tab
    2. Proceed from step 4 above.
    Workaround No.2:
    1. Right click and inspect the discrepancy note page (firefox) or press F12 to open the developer pane (internet exporer) to see the editable page source.
    2. Find the part that says: wrote:
    Hi,

I have an issue where you cannot edit an item that has already been changed once before on an event CRF after it is marked as completed.

Steps to reproduce.

2. Mark as complete.
    5. Add a discrepancy note Type=Reason for Change, Status is set to Not Applicable.

The workarounds I have found are removing the event CRF and then restoring which sets the event CRF back into initial data entry mode.
    Or using a discrepancy note type of “Failed Validation Check”. Neither are great in practice.

Is this a known bug? I found this thread from earlier this year https://community.openclinica.com/discrepancy-note-status

Kind Regards,
    Richard
  • Hi Lindsay,

Yes, the inactive “Begin New Thread” link is the issue.

I am running the community edition of 3.1.3.1 and 3.1.4
    CentOS 6.4
    Postgres 8.4
    Firefox 19

Your workarounds do enable the link again for me.
    Is the enterprise version using different JavaScript libraries?

Regards,

Richard
    Sent: Friday, 16 August 2013 3:39 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Users] Cannot edit item (again) on completed CRF

Hi Richard
    I checked if I could reproduce this error, and I can - kind of. The problem for me seems to be that in general, the 'Begin New Thread' link is disabled in the discrepancy note window (as it appears to be in your screen shot), regardless of the type of note that was first added - which means I'm only allowed to add one note per item..!
    This is happening for me in OpenClinica community, both 3.1.3.1 and 3.1.4, which I have running locally with windows 7, postgres 8.4, tomcat 6, firefox 19. I tried restarting tomcat but it was the same. These two instances share tomcat but have separate databases in the same server. I have only checked this behaviour using a Data Manager user.
    The problem does not appear to be present on the 3.1.3.1 Enterprise installations we have - which are on the same stack versions as above but with windows server 2003.
    Are your versions community or enterprise? Any other setup info you can share would probably help us both get a fix for this. I didn't look very hard but there isn't an obvious existing ticket for this issue in Jira.
    In the mean time, I found a couple of workarounds you might consider. Both of them let you see the 'Begin New Thread' form in the discrepancy note window, which is still active and functional, despite being hidden. Once you can interact with the form, you can create additional note threads and therefore OpenClinca should allow you to change the value in administrative data entry more than once.
    3. Press ALT + ENTER, which opens the URL in a new window that isn't modal (i.e. has menus)
    4. Make yourself a bookmark, whose location is: javascript:addText('a0','Begin%20New%20Thread');
    5. Click the bookmark on your new window from Step 4. This javascript re-activates the 'Begin New Thread' link.
    Workaround No.1 (ie10):

Workaround No.2:
    1. Right click and inspect the discrepancy note page (firefox) or press F12 to open the developer pane (internet exporer) to see the editable page source.
    Hi,

Steps to reproduce.

2. Mark as complete.

Kind Regards,
    Richard
  • ccollinsccollins Posts: 375 admin
    Hi,
    We've seen similar behavior with the missing 'Begin New Thread' link when running Tomcat 6.0.36 rather that the explicitly supported 6.0.32. It's strange that a minor version change would make a difference like that, and I'm not exactly sure this is the same problem, but if you're running a later release of Tomcat 6 I would suggest trying 6.0.32 to see if that helps.
    Best,
    Cal
    On Fri, Aug 16, 2013 at 2:03 AM, Richard Brookes wrote:
    Hi Lindsay,

CentOS 6.4
    Postgres 8.4
    Firefox 19

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard
    Workaround No.1 (ie10):

Workaround No.2:
    Hi,

Steps to reproduce.

2. Mark as complete.

Kind Regards,
    Richard
  • Hi,

I was running Tomcat 6.0.36.
    I changed to Tomcat 6.0.32 and the “Begin New Thread” link is now active.

Thanks for your help Cal.

Cheers,

Richard
    Sent: Friday, 16 August 2013 11:40 PM

Hi,

We've seen similar behavior with the missing 'Begin New Thread' link when running Tomcat 6.0.36 rather that the explicitly supported 6.0.32. It's strange that a minor version change would make a difference like that, and I'm not exactly sure this is the same problem, but if you're running a later release of Tomcat 6 I would suggest trying 6.0.32 to see if that helps.

Best,
    Cal

Hi Lindsay,

CentOS 6.4
    Postgres 8.4
    Firefox 19

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard
    Workaround No.1 (ie10):

Workaround No.2:
    Hi,

Steps to reproduce.

2. Mark as complete.

Kind Regards,
    Richard
  • lindsay.stevenslindsay.stevens Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    Hi Cal,
    Thanks - downgrading to Tomcat 3.0.32 fixed it for me too. I have put this in the wiki book here:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=OpenClinica_User_Manual/InstallationCheckList&stable=0#non-obvious_effects_of_using_non-supported_versions
    Best regards,
    Lindsay
    On 17 August 2013 09:45, Richard Brookes wrote:
    Hi,

I was running Tomcat 6.0.36.
    I changed to Tomcat 6.0.32 and the “Begin New Thread” link is now active.

Thanks for your help Cal.

Cheers,

Richard
    Sent: Friday, 16 August 2013 11:40 PM

Hi,

Best,
    Cal

Hi Lindsay,

CentOS 6.4
    Postgres 8.4
    Firefox 19

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard
    Workaround No.1 (ie10):

Workaround No.2:
    Hi,

Steps to reproduce.

2. Mark as complete.

Kind Regards,
    Richard
This discussion has been closed.