31 Dec 2018: Thank you to our knowledgeable and friendly forums users for another great year. We are aware of the uptick in spam accounts and are doing our best to ban these at first sight. Thank you for your patience!
Microsoft Encoding Issues
If you copy/paste string(s) from MS Word to MS Excel during CRF build, most likely you will get into a trouble. Here are the reasons:
- OpenClinica, like the rest of the world, uses UTF-8 encoding
- Microsoft chose UTF-16LE encoding for its file system
- Microsoft Office products still uses ancient, Microsoft propriety so-called Extended ASCII, including:
- Microsoft Office copies/pasts invisible control characters into/from Windows OS clipboard
Anytime OpenClinica encounters one or more of these characters stored in its database, the common symptoms are:
- Study Metadata fails to open
- Unable to extract data
- Rule crashes with null pointer exception error
Another issue. As I mentioned above, Microsoft file system is UTF-16LE encoding. This may cause a trouble with Data Mart in Downloadable format because OpenClinica/Java produces UTF-8 file format. Windows OS may corrupt UTF-8 characters used in OpenClinica.