Open Source EHR Suite for integration with OpenClinica

wdeanmedicalwdeanmedical Posts: 18

Hello Fellow OC developers and Users,

As an OC developer and employee last year I worked on a couple of initiatives such as the printable forms and RESTful client.  I showed some of that work at the OC13 conference last year (see wdeanmedical.com/oc13_ocng.pdf ).

Part of it was centered around a concept for a future architecture that would be a rewrite and a departure from OC version 3.x.  It was named OCNG was described in that PDF.  Later that year I left OC in order to pursue am open source EHR suite that is complementary to OC in that it also of open standards.  Its an Electronic Health Records, Practice Manager, and Patient Portal suite.

It is now ready for release and available for your use and development:

Github:  https://github.com/wdeanmedical

Pretty, pretty, corporate site: http://wdeanmedical.com/corp/

Demo instances: http://wdeanmedical.com/ehr/  http://wdeanmedical.com/pm/  http://wdeanmedical.com/portal/

So some of you may be thinking: “Who cares? and what is this guy doing posting it here?”

The reason is simple in that I want to work with the OC community to bridge these two platforms for EHR->CTMS communication using HL7 CDA V3 (FHIR) and the venerable ODM.  I also want to extend our Patient Portal to the Clinical Trials space and finally give OC a solid open source and freely available presence there. Those are two projects that I can think of right off the bat. 

Who’s In?

Nick Sophinos

OC Developer and Founding Partner, WDean Medical

[email protected]

www.wdeanmedical.com

617 980-7794

Post edited by bbaumann on
Tagged:

Comments

• haenselhaensel Posts: 570 ✭✭
    via Email
    Hi Nick

I've taken a quick look into the EHR live demo. Looks good.
    1. There are currently only two roles (General, Admin). Is it possible
    to create custom ones?.

2. Do you have some general background infos about
    authentication/authorization?

3. Is it possible to customize the dash board (even user or role based)?

4. Is it possible to host multiple practices?

5. Is it possible to get detailed event infos (e.g. from the schedule view)?

6. What are the detailed plans for connecting EHR with OC.

Regards,
    Christian
  • ccollinsccollins Posts: 375 admin
    via Email
    Hi Nick,

Congrats on the launch! The UI looks clean, intuitive and is very
    responsive. You've been hard at work and it shows.

I'm interested in collaborating on the integration and portal use cases you
    mentioned. Do you have an API to look at? Any technical/architecture
    documentation yet? If not, what would you recommend happens next?

Best,
    Cal
  • wdeanmedicalwdeanmedical Posts: 18
    Thanks Cal.  No API yet but what I will work on in short order is the beginnings of a external REST API for all of the obvious communication with the portal's current capabilities.  I will post a link to it within a week.
  • isartwisartw Posts: 22
    Nick is that Meaningful Use compliant/certified? If so, what stage?
    via Email
    It is in the process of being MU certified. Later this year it will be
    certified at least through Stage 3.
    Hi Christian,

1. There are currently only two roles (General, Admin). Is it possible
    to create custom ones?.  Currently it need to be done by adding a row to the Role table but eventually that will be something that can be controlled via the UI.

2. Do you have some general background infos about
    authentication/authorization?  The user is authenticated via a matching of a one-way encrypted password against a unique SALT.  The user session is stored in the user_session table and this is transmitted back from the client via the sessionId token in each JSON request. Each service method has its own list of permission-based roles as defined in Core.java 

3. Is it possible to customize the dash board (even user or role based)?  Yes that can be done rather easily in code and later via a configuration.

4. Is it possible to host multiple practices?  Currently the database schema is orientated around one practice at a time but that modification should be straightforward.

5. Is it possible to get detailed event infos (e.g. from the schedule view)?  That is in the works and I should have that in place this summer.

6. What are the detailed plans for connecting EHR with OC.  It is wide open.  As Cal proposed, EHR to OC interface for patient data for the purposes of patient engagement seems likely to be the first thing tackled.  I will expose a REST interface with HL7 FHIR as the common point between HL73 and CDISC-ODM.
  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 259 ✭✭
    Hi Nick,

EHR to OC connection feature is very interesting. I am not very familiar with HL7 FHIR but from what I read it should provide relatively easy what of getting interoperability between EHR systems. Now if I understand properly, the goal will be to extend OC so that it provides both way (clinet/server) HL 7 FHIR communication:

Is the intention to do this modification to current release of OC or to the previously announced OC NG project? Actually it would be also nice to know how much (if any) from the OC NG inventions made it back to the recent OC version.

Tomas
    Hi Tomas,  
    Any integration that I have in mind would be for the current OC 3.x release.  The connection with OCNG is that my applications such as the EHR are based on the same architecture that I proposed for OCNG.  Eventually, one my company gets off the ground I will turn some of my focus as a developer back to an re-invigorated OCNG effort.
  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 259 ✭✭
    Glad to hear that. You say that EHR will expose HL7 FHIR interface. Probably the easiest way to start is to have FHIR client in OC. And then with the client perform tasks like patient search (e.g. for subject registration). Patient data search (within CRF to automate data entry).

What is currently missing in OC is the base for plugin architecture, where one could dynamically load custom modules which enrich specific set of existing features or create completely new one. HL7 FHIR client would be clear example of such plugin. Maybe it is not such a bad idea to look at spring-plugin project and examine if it is possible to use something like this in current version of OC. However, this sort of change has to be discussed with core developers because I assume that they have they own plans with modularisation of OC.
  • haenselhaensel Posts: 570 ✭✭
    Hi Nick

Thanks for your detailed answers. I'm highly interessted and definitly keep in touch with this project. Leave me a message if you need a helping hand for the OC modifications.

Regards,
    Christian
This discussion has been closed.