We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OC 3.1.2 memory leaks on shutdown

2»

Comments

• SyntaxSyntax Posts: 34
    via Email
    Juan,

I am not sure this memory leak will be fixed in newer version of OC or not, but since you are not design to upgrade your OC version soon anyway (with any reason) therefore you may need to concentrate on trying to avoid your Tomcat service down for now.

From information on your system provided previously, you have 16 GB. of RAM. However when I take a look on your Tomcat configurations (default configuration comes with the installation document is good for make OC running, but in order to make OC survive in heavy workload you need to optimize it), I do think that your Tomcat only utilized memory just a bit above 1 GB only (and leave the rest of your server RAM unused).

In order to perform quick check, you can:

- Log on into your Tomcat Manager (via web browser)
    - Click Server Status (under Manager section)

Under JVM section, please copy info from the line below from your Tomcat Manager (prefer you to do it when your OC server is at peak load or has a lot of concurrent users using it, log on into Tomcat Manager does not increase a lot of workload on your OC server).

Free memory: ? MB Total memory: ? MB Max memory: ? MB

I guess you may have only few MB left in free memory (when your server is at peak load or has a lot of concurrent users using it) and your max memory is about 1,280 MB.

Few more questions for you:

- Do you use single server for both Tomcat and PostgreSQL?
    - Do you use SSL?
    - Do you also installed WS in this server?
    - How many users you have (max concurrent) and how big of your DB?

In general, I can see that you can still optimize your current configurations but let see your results from Tomcat Manager and your answers first.

Sorry for late reply, been very busying with some server works and preparing data for incoming audit in this moment.

Note: There are maximum memory limitation we can assign in Tomcat 6 (even we have plenty of RAM in the server), however the limitation is gone in Tomcat 7 (but you need to use OC 3.2 or newer).

Best regards,
    Montri
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Montri,

Thanks for the detailed update! Are there any plans to move to PLSQL >8, which I believe is available as a 64 bit version? Maybe that would also help?

Regards

Krister

• SyntaxSyntax Posts: 34
    via Email
    Hi Krister,

From my experiences, Juan issue is related to Tomcat only (Tomcat service is downed due to ran out of memory, I think). Tomcat optimized configurations are not to fix the issue, but it can help increasing number of memory allocated to Tomcat and helps Tomcat to be able to survive much longer before it ran out of memory again (as I already mentioned in my previous message a while ago, I don't have often of this issue here while my server has only 3 GB. of RAM).

For Database (PostgreSQL), I also did configurations optimized on my PostgreSQL 8.4 server but it's risky tasks and too many details to share here. Fortunately from my previous tests with OC 3.2 the data extraction tasks which took 10+ hrs in OC 3.1.4 reduced to 2 hrs with same version of PostgreSQL, which means the data extraction optimization comes purely from OC itself. But the great part is it's support Tomcat 7 which handle memory much better than Tomcat 6.

So in general, the optimizations can be done from both side (OC itself and server configurations). However I am not the developer, so I did my part on the server side only. I have seen you oftenly post the answers to community, it's kind of you. I am too busy to be able to hit the community often, but I try to do it when I can, have a great time there.

Best regards,
    Montri
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    Thanks Montri for the clarifications. I'm simply a an old Clinical Pharmacologist so I understand much less of this!!

Regards

Krister
This discussion has been closed.