We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

java NullPointerException when uploading rule XML file

I'm not quite sure where to put this.  I'm pretty sure a bug report is in order, but I'm not sure what specifically has the bug, and I found it while trying to update some rules on my test system. Here's the story:

While updating a study in my test system after the first round of UAT, I had some new and some updated rules assignments.  When I try to upload one of the .xml files with new rules in it, I get the "Oops! An error has occurred" generic error page.  This doesn't happen with any rule xml file, so far just the one.  I checked the logs on tomcat to see if they gave me any better clue as to what broke.  There's a lot of FTP lines with Datestring values that pop up, which doesn't happen for a different xml file, so that's a bit confusing, but it concludes with a java.lang.NullPointerException.  digging a little deeper, the catalina log file, and a logging.properties file I set up to ferret out the cause of an old "SEVERE: Error listenerStart" error both draw back the exception to this error:
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
javax.servlet.ServletException: File "/WEB-INF/include/submitDataSide.jsp" not found.

This is understandable, because as far as I can tell submitDataSide.jsp is under /WEB-INF/jsp/include/ but I don't even know where to go to try to address this reference.

Does anyone have any suggestion?  the sections of both the openclinica and catalina log resulting from my attempted upload are attached, the full trace of the error mostly goes over my head.

Comments

• lindsay.stevenslindsay.stevens Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    The null pointer exception is most likely due to incorrect oid somewhere in
    the rule def or rule assignment.

If you upload a copy of the problem rule I can make a better guess.
  • ColinSuttonColinSutton Posts: 30
    via Email
    You could try copying /WEB-INF/include/submitDataSide.jsp to /WEB-INF/jsp/include/
    That might produce a better error message.

Regards,
    Colin
  • byarmas-fscbyarmas-fsc Posts: 40

The null pointer exception is most likely due to incorrect oid somewhere in
    the rule def or rule assignment.

If you upload a copy of the problem rule I can make a better guess.

this is the rule file in question, why would an incorrect OID generate this catchall error page, rather than being caught on the usual new/update/incorrect rule assignment page that follows a rule upload?  I've had errors pointing out incorrect references on that page before.
    huh, seems xml files can't be attached on the forum
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    Could you try to modify the xml-file so that for the ShowActions, the waivers, the attribute Batch="true" changes to Batch="false"?
    Kind regards,
    Gerben Rienk
    Gerben, Just tried changing the batches to all be false and no luck.  still just turns up the error page.
    So some time after the fact I think I've found at least part of the problem.  The two rules where I added the values of several fields as part of the expression caused the file upload to **** out.  It works fine if I just take out those two ruledefs.  Alternately, if I check each field as a separate expression (with a lot of ands) it works fine, which if what I've ended up doing for now.  Each of these fields is an INT that stores 1 or 0, and is a radio button on the form, so I'm not sure why performing addition of these fields would cause a problem.  I noticed that on a previous study this worked fine, but when I tried to update the rule it failed similarly, so this might just be a problem on my current installation, but if so I'm not sure of the origin.
This discussion has been closed.