We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OpenClinica application failed to start when Tomcat restarted

My setup is CentOS 7, PostgreSQL 9.2, Tomcat 7, and OpenClinica-3.8. I restarted Tomcat and afterwards the Openclinica application failed to start. Starting it from the Tomcat manager failed as well. The logfile listed several rather large stacktraces, the top most one begins:

Mar 16, 2016 12:38:27 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext listenerStart
SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.akaza.openclinica.dao.core.OCContextLoaderListener
org.springframework.context.ApplicationContextException: Failed to start bean 'schedulerFactoryBean'; nested exception is org.springframework.scheduling.SchedulingException: Could not start Quartz Scheduler; nested exception is org.quartz.SchedulerConfigException: Failure occured during job recovery. [See nested exception: org.quartz.JobPersistenceException: Couldn't retrieve trigger: invalid stream header: BB656430 [See nested exception: java.io.StreamCorruptedException: invalid stream header: BB656430]]
at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor.doStart(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java:169)
at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor.access$1(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java:154)
at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor$LifecycleGroup.start(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java:335)
at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor.startBeans(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java:143)
at org.springframework.context.support.DefaultLifecycleProcessor.onRefresh(DefaultLifecycleProcessor.java:108)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.finishRefresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:908)
at org.springframework.context.support.AbstractApplicationContext.refresh(AbstractApplicationContext.java:428)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.createWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:276)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoader.initWebApplicationContext(ContextLoader.java:197)
at org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(ContextLoaderListener.java:47)
at org.akaza.openclinica.dao.core.OCContextLoaderListener.contextInitialized(OCContextLoaderListener.java:38)

It looked like a similar issue to: https://forums.openclinica.com/discussion/15443/oc-3-3-fails-to-start but that fix didn’t work. Neither did changing the org.quartz.jobStore.useProperties value mentioned in http://forums.terracotta.org/forums/posts/list/3813.page It felt like a Quartz related issue. I found that if I deleted all the entries in some of the oc_qrtz_* tables, it seemde to allow the application to start:
openclinica=# delete from oc_qrtz_simple_triggers;
DELETE 14
openclinica=# delete from oc_qrtz_triggers;
DELETE 14
openclinica=# delete from oc_qrtz_job_details;
DELETE 14
openclinica=#

However I’m confused as to why this happened in order to prevent it happening again?

Best Answer

Answers

• kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    Hi,

OpenClinica 3.8 does not work on PG SQI > 8.4 yet! Follows the install instructions in detail with the correcty versions and it will work for you

Regards

Krister