Install Web Services on 3.11 VM Image

Hi

I have been trying to install the Web Services on to the VM image that can be downloaded from the 'Download Latest OpenClinica Release'. Having followed the installation instructions I cannot get the Web Services to work; I get a blank page when I go to http://localhost:8080/OpenClinica-ws. I have edited the database variables in datainfo.properties file in webapps/OpenClinica-ws/WEB-INF/classes so they match the equivalent file in webapps/OpenClinica/WEB-INF/classes, this does not seem to have resolved the issue.

Has anyone successfully installed the Web Services on the VM Image supplied by OpenClinica, or have any advice?

Many thanks
David

Comments

• toskriptoskrip Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Hi

in newer versions of OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws the config files have been actually moved from webapps directly under tomcat home directory. So that they can be preserved during app redeployment or upgrade (that is normally touching webapp folder). This means that after first deployment you should see (openclinica.config, openclinica.data, openclinica-ws.config, openclinica-ws.data) folder directly under tomcat home and you should modify datainfo.properties files in these config folders.

best

Tomas
  • dvmurraydvmurray Posts: 14
    Hi Tomas

Thank you for the advice. I have updated the datainfo.properties files within the tomcat directory /usr/share/tomcat, unfortunately I still get a blank screen when I go to http://localhost:8080/openclinica-ws. However, I did notice that the openclinica-ws.data directory did appear after the first deployment.

Thinking I may have corrupted the installation during my initial editing of the config files, I restored the server to a previous state, and reinstalled the web services. Before the testing the web services I noticed the openclinica-ws.data and openclinica-ws.config directories did not exist; I then tested the web services, which failed but did create the openclinica-ws.data directory. I edited the config file in openclinica-ws.data, and retested the web services, unfortunately they still do not work. Any thoughts what might be cause?

My knowledge of tomcat is limited but I understand moving the config files out of the webapps directory is good idea, as you mention it makes upgrading the application easier. However, I never had a problems installing previous versions of OC and web services. Anyway I'll keep persevering and will update once I have resolved the problem.

Best wishes
    Dave

• dvmurraydvmurray Posts: 14
    Apologies for the late response.

I now have web services working on the VM image; the datainfo.properties file that is included with the OpenClinica-ws.war is not properly configured to work with the VM.

For web services to work in the VM image you should stop tomcat and replace the datainfo.properties files in the /usr/share/tomcat/openclinica-ws.config/ and /usr/share/tomcat/webapps/OpenClinica-ws/WEB-INF/classes/ directories with the attached version. You should also issue the command "chown -R tomcat:tomcat /usr/share/tomcat/" to make sure that ownership of the config files is correct. You should now be able to start tomcat and access web services.

Please note this is for OC Community 3.11 VM image. The VM image for OC 3.12 includes web services.

Best wishes
    Dave