Possible to upload a large dataset from an Excel sheet?

Hi,
I have a large data set (558 samples from 438 individuals) which I want to upload to OC. The information was kept in Excel. Is there a way to upload the data into OC as a batch?
Also,, how do I create a CRF from an Excel file that uses various characters and includes numerical, categorical, data?

Help is so much appreciated!!! Thank you

Comments

• mvirtosumvirtosu Posts: 266
    Hello,

You would have to transform the Excel file into an ODM XML file. A programmer can help you with that.
    Then you would look at each column in the Excel file and decide what data type in OpenClinica to give to that question: text, integer, float, etc.

Hope this helps,

Mihai
  • sroeddersroedder Posts: 7
    Hi Mihai,
    thank you for the response! Do I have to first modify the Excel file or first transform to ODM XML?
    Is there any written document available that outlines the process?

Thank you again!!

Silke.
    Silke,

There is no need to modify the Excel file. I would simply write a small program that reads in the Excel file and outputs the ODM XML file. Then you take the ODM XML file and you import it directly into OpenClinica, after you have created the CRF in OpenClinica first.

Hope this helps,

Mihai
    That should be doable..Thank you! The only problem is that I don't know how to create the CRF file!! I have tried to look at the example files etc... but they don't really help, as the information that I have is so different and includes experimental data as well...
    Any thoughts on how to create the CRF? or how to get help creating the CRF?
    edited January 12
    sroedder said:

Any thoughts on how to create the CRF? or how to get help creating the CRF?

http://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/study-setup/build-study/create-case-report-forms-crfs
    I cannot open the link...
    sroedder said:

I cannot open the link...

Maybe try another browser. The link comes up fine for me.

One other thing I neglected to add: if you haven't enrolled those subjects whose data is in the Excel file, before you can import the data into OpenClinica, you need to enroll the subjects and schedule their event. This can be done manually if you have few subjects, or programmatically via SOAP web services if you have many subjects.

Mihai