FAIL - Application at context path /OpenClinica could not be started

I'm trying to follow installation instructions as outlined in https://youtu.be/poewFusx9JI
However, when I start OpenClinic in Tomcat manager I get the error: FAIL - Application at context path /OpenClinica could not be started

In Tomcat's catalina log file the following can be found:
23-Jan-2017 16:58:49.944 WARNING [http-nio-8080-exec-1] org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase.clearReferencesThreads The web application [OpenClinica] appears to have started a thread named [Timer-1] but has failed to stop it. This is very likely to create a memory leak. Stack trace of thread: java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method) java.util.TimerThread.mainLoop(Timer.java:552) java.util.TimerThread.run(Timer.java:505)

Could I get a bit of help on this please

Comments

• haenselhaensel Posts: 530 ✭✭
    Hi @sebastianv
    This is probably not the error message. Are there anymore messages in catalina.out or localhost.*?

Regards,
    Christian
  • sebastianvsebastianv Posts: 16
    Hi Christian. I've been trying to find catalina.out, with little success. Could you point me towards its location.
    I've attached the current localhost log file. It mentions a fatal password authentication error, which is confusing as I am not aware that I entered any incorrect password information.
  • haenselhaensel Posts: 530 ✭✭
    Hi

Please ensure that the database settings in the datainfo.properties is correct. The default locations for newer OC versions is in the catalina_home directory. Where this is depends on your specific settings (operating system e.g.)

The relevant message is
    Caused by: org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "tomcat"

OC can't connect to your database.

Regards,
    Christian
    Hi Christian,

I've ensured that the datainfo.properties files in both \Tomcat 8.5\openclinica.config
    and \Tomcat 8.5\webapps\OpenClinica\WEB-INF\classes
    are correctly configured as below:
    dbType=postgres dbUser=clinica dbPass=clinica db=openclinica dbPort=5432 dbHost=localhost

I've checked using pgAdmin 4 that the postgreSQL database is indeed called openclinica

I don't really understand why OC cannot connect to the database.
    I cannot find the catalina_home directory you are talking about, only the 'logs' directory which is in the Tomcat main directory.

Any further help would be great.

Thanks

Sebastian
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    In my experience the fastest solution is to start from scratch again. Did you make sure that you did not have an old JAVA set up before you installed JDK. The best advice for a set up is to start with a clean operating system with nothing installed. Many application today actually use Tomcat and that can cause conflicts if there is an old Tomcat installed.
    edited January 24
    I'm only trying to install OC to test it, so I'd really rather not have to wipe my OS. This is also a good troubleshooting trial for installation later on our server.

I didn't have Java or JDK installed prior to this, nor did I have any Apache servers installed (I'm on a fairly new machine). All required softwares are of the latest versions.
    Reinstalling Tomcat/PostgreSQL/OC would preferably be a last resort. I'm hoping to fix the current issue as not to risk running into it again upon a reinstall
    What if you type http://localhost:8080 can you get into Tomcat manager??
    If yes. what is the status of OpenClinica? If OC not running, try to restart it!
    Yes, Tomcat is not giving any issues. When I start OpenClinica I get the error FAIL - Application at context path /OpenClinica could not be started

No other webapps have been installed, so I don't foresee a conflict. Christian mentioned that OC cannot connect to my database. However, I don't understand how to correct this as AFAIK I've configured OC and PostgreSQL correctly
    If Tomcat is not running, have you edited the JAVA options according to the instructions? (In the Tomcat properties