Please join your peers on either March 26 (8pm GMT) or March 28 (8am GMT) to watch as user extraordinaire and forum legend @"lindsay.stevens" demonstrates OpenClinica Insight.

See preview and register at

Insight makes it easy to ask questions of ALL of your clinical and operational data and visualize answers via interactive reports and dashboards. The idea is simple, but the results are powerful: ask your questions, choose your visualizations, then return often for updated, interactive results that link you to all of the underlying data.

XML is Not Well formed on Import

Hi All,

I am trying to import data to a study and having some difficulties! I keep getting the "your XML is not well formed " return from the web service.

I have sent SOAP requests via OxygenXML and SOAP UI and the Mirth Connect platform (other web services) , very successfully, but for some reason cannot get an import working.

I have attached a SOAP envelope. The ODM works when imported via the data import in the OC Web UI. It fails with the same response in both Oxy and SOAPUI.

I have seen the other discussions with the same problem and formatted the envelope and request as was suggested in those, but it still fails.

I know it has to be in the envelope somehow, I just can't see where !!

I have attached a sample (as a txt file) - all data items that were even vaguely useful are replaced with ????

Could someone please point out my stupididty!!

Thanks in advance.




  • RCHENURCHENU Posts: 195
    And if you change your SOAP-ENV to soapenv ?
  • RCHENURCHENU Posts: 195
    The env I use, if you want to try with it.
  • OCStuOCStu Posts: 12

    I got some debug turned on and it does not look to me like the attempt is event getting to the point where its trying to import the ODM.

    I can see the output below in the log file.

    This is the last entry in the log. When I compare it to a WS call that succeeds I can see the actual query run by the WS etc. The difference between the 2 calls is that this one contains ODM to import.

    My account is set up as far as I know for WS access, are there any special permissions or things that i might need to attend to in the OC environment to enable things for OC Import via Web Services?

    As far as I know this was not a "fresh clean" install but a copy from an existing environment.

    Any and all suggestions gratefully received!!

    Log File Extract
    02/16 10:24:53 [] AUTHPRIV DEBUG o.a.o.d.c.PreparedStatementFactory:70 -
    found object name:[java.lang.String] [1] value[?????]
    02/16 10:24:53 [] AUTH DEBUG o.a.o.d.l.UserAccountDAO:223 - Executing dynamic query, select * from study_user_role where user_name=?
    02/16 10:24:53 [] FTP DEBUG - rootElement=null
    02/16 10:24:53 [] FTP DEBUG - sending fail message Your XML is not well-formed.

  • OCStuOCStu Posts: 12
    Well well. I noticed immediately that your ODM element has no namespace declarations in it.

    Mine was constructed from examples on site that are working.

    Thank you vv much for the input.

    I didn't use the whole env, just removed the namespaces from my ODM and it imported the document fine.


  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 253 ✭✭

    try to remove the namespaces from your ODM root element. I think I seen this once and from that time I try to use simple ODM without namespaces info.

  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 253 ✭✭
    :) you figured it out faster on your own than I finished writing it here
  • OCStuOCStu Posts: 12
    Well, to be fair, there was help from RCHENU with a working SOAP request.

    Thanks to you both for input.

Sign In or Register to comment.