OpenClinica doesn't want to start with Tomcat on Ubuntu

Hi. I have huge problems installing OpenClinica on Ubuntu 18.04.
At first, I tried to do the installation that is mentioned in the OpenClinica docs, but when I launch tomcat and go to localhost:8080, it doesn't work (even if Java said that tomcat was launched)
So I installed tomcat8 with the apt-get command and deployed the OpenClinica war file on the /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps folder, but it still doesn't work. I'm able to go on localhost:8080 and on the manager, but when I want to start OpenClinica, I have the message 'FAIL - Application at context path [/OpenClinica] could not be started'
Does someone have the solution for this problem ? When I searched this error message on Google, I found messages where people put longer error message, from a tomcat's catalina log file (like here https://forums.openclinica.com/discussion/16147/fail-application-at-context-path-openclinica-could-not-be-started), where is this file ?
Thanks

Comments

• PJolivetPJolivet Posts: 8
    I've found the catalina.out file. After an error because I folder wasn't created, I have the error '10:11:37,255 |-ERROR in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender[DB_LOGFILE] - openFile(/usr/share/tomcat8/logs/$ at java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/share/tomcat8/logs/openclinica-db.log (Permission denied)'
    How can I give to tomcat the permission to edit this file ? Apparenty it should be the owner of this folder
    I've found for this problem, the owner was root, but now I have the message 'ERROR in ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SyslogAppender[SYSLOG-USAGESTATS] - Could not create SyslogWriter ja$
    at java.net.UnknownHostException: usage.openclinica.com: Name or service not known'
  • tkhajatkhaja Posts: 58
    Hi,
    Please uninstall Tomcat 8 and try to install Tomcat 7. OpenClinica is currently validated with the following stack:
    Java 7(jdk1.7.0_51)
    Tomcat 7(apache-tomcat-7.0.52)
    PostgreSQL 9.5

Please let me know if you are still receiving the errors.

Thanks,
    Thasbiha

Hi, thanks for the answer. I have uninstalled tomcat8 and put tomcat7 but i still have the same error message "usage.openclinca.com : name or service not known', and even if I try to change this adress, for example replacing this adress in dateinfo.properties by for example http://www.google.com, it still doesn't work
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭
    I would just uninstall eveything and start from scratch following the instruction to the letter! It is usually faster.

Regards

Krister
  • jacob.rousseaujacob.rousseau Posts: 21
    Hi PJolivet,
    you can ignore this error because the problem is caused by the fact that the server for the usage statistics cannot be found. Note that there is a typo in your original posting 'usage.openclinca.com'; there is an i missing. You could possibly also try to disable the statistic collection by setting collectStats to false in datainfo.properties. Our servers work fine dispite the error message.

regards, Jacob
    Hi, I tryed to uninstall all and follow the installation again, but I still have a problem. I have some others errors than the no found host, here are they :
    07:23:26,011 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate.SQL] to false
    07:23:26,011 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate.SQL level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,124 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.hibernate.SQL]
    07:23:26,128 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate.type] to false
    07:23:26,128 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate.type level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,130 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.hibernate.type]
    07:23:26,132 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate] to false
    07:23:26,132 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,136 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.security] to false
    07:23:26,136 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.security level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,138 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [LOGFILE-AUTHPRIV] to Logger[org.springframework.security]
    07:23:26,140 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.orm.hibernate3] to false
    07:23:26,140 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3 level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,142 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.springframework.orm.hibernate3]
    07:23:26,144 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.core.io] to false
    07:23:26,144 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.core.io level set to ERROR

Do they come from postgresql ? I installed the 9.5 version with the sudo apt-get command because the link in the tutorial is dead.
    Thanks
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 791 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24
    Hi PJolivet,
    You can ignore these, because they are what they say they are: INFO. Anything with label error or severe is worth looking into.
    Kind regards,
    Gerben Rienk
    Hi, i don't understand why it doesn't launch if there are no severe messages. But with trying some settings, I have now these ones :
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
    SEVERE: One or more listeners failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
    SEVERE: Context [/OpenClinica] startup failed due to previous errors
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/OpenClinica] appears to have started a thread named [[email protected]$May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/OpenClinica] appears to have started a thread named [[email protected]$May 25, 2018 6:49:46 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase loadClass
    INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load net.sf.ehcache.util.Produ$java.lang.IllegalStateException

Do you know where could they come ?
    Thanks
    Here is the reason of the startinternal error :
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.akaza.openclinica.dao.core.OCContextLoaderListener
    $ is org.akaza.openclinica.exception.OpenClinicaSystemException: Copying files, Could not create direcotry: /var/lib/tomcat7/openclinicadata/xslt.