Please join your peers on either March 26 (8pm GMT) or March 28 (8am GMT) to watch as user extraordinaire and forum legend @"lindsay.stevens" demonstrates OpenClinica Insight.

See preview and register at https://openclinica.com/insight-webinar

Insight makes it easy to ask questions of ALL of your clinical and operational data and visualize answers via interactive reports and dashboards. The idea is simple, but the results are powerful: ask your questions, choose your visualizations, then return often for updated, interactive results that link you to all of the underlying data.

OpenClinica doesn't want to start with Tomcat on Ubuntu

Hi. I have huge problems installing OpenClinica on Ubuntu 18.04.
At first, I tried to do the installation that is mentioned in the OpenClinica docs, but when I launch tomcat and go to localhost:8080, it doesn't work (even if Java said that tomcat was launched)
So I installed tomcat8 with the apt-get command and deployed the OpenClinica war file on the /var/lib/tomcat8/webapps folder, but it still doesn't work. I'm able to go on localhost:8080 and on the manager, but when I want to start OpenClinica, I have the message 'FAIL - Application at context path [/OpenClinica] could not be started'
Does someone have the solution for this problem ? When I searched this error message on Google, I found messages where people put longer error message, from a tomcat's catalina log file (like here https://forums.openclinica.com/discussion/16147/fail-application-at-context-path-openclinica-could-not-be-started), where is this file ?
Thanks

Comments

• PJolivetPJolivet Posts: 8
    I've found the catalina.out file. After an error because I folder wasn't created, I have the error '10:11:37,255 |-ERROR in ch.qos.logback.core.rolling.RollingFileAppender[DB_LOGFILE] - openFile(/usr/share/tomcat8/logs/$ at java.io.FileNotFoundException: /usr/share/tomcat8/logs/openclinica-db.log (Permission denied)'
    How can I give to tomcat the permission to edit this file ? Apparenty it should be the owner of this folder
    I've found for this problem, the owner was root, but now I have the message 'ERROR in ch.qos.logback.classic.net.SyslogAppender[SYSLOG-USAGESTATS] - Could not create SyslogWriter ja$
    at java.net.UnknownHostException: usage.openclinica.com: Name or service not known'
  • tkhajatkhaja Posts: 58
    Hi,
    Please uninstall Tomcat 8 and try to install Tomcat 7. OpenClinica is currently validated with the following stack:
    Java 7(jdk1.7.0_51)
    Tomcat 7(apache-tomcat-7.0.52)
    PostgreSQL 9.5

Please let me know if you are still receiving the errors.

Thanks,
    Thasbiha

Hi, thanks for the answer. I have uninstalled tomcat8 and put tomcat7 but i still have the same error message "usage.openclinca.com : name or service not known', and even if I try to change this adress, for example replacing this adress in dateinfo.properties by for example http://www.google.com, it still doesn't work
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭
    I would just uninstall eveything and start from scratch following the instruction to the letter! It is usually faster.

Regards

Krister
  • jacob.rousseaujacob.rousseau Posts: 21
    Hi PJolivet,
    you can ignore this error because the problem is caused by the fact that the server for the usage statistics cannot be found. Note that there is a typo in your original posting 'usage.openclinca.com'; there is an i missing. You could possibly also try to disable the statistic collection by setting collectStats to false in datainfo.properties. Our servers work fine dispite the error message.

regards, Jacob
    Hi, I tryed to uninstall all and follow the installation again, but I still have a problem. I have some others errors than the no found host, here are they :
    07:23:26,011 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate.SQL] to false
    07:23:26,011 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate.SQL level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,124 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.hibernate.SQL]
    07:23:26,128 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate.type] to false
    07:23:26,128 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate.type level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,130 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.hibernate.type]
    07:23:26,132 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.hibernate] to false
    07:23:26,132 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.hibernate level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,136 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.security] to false
    07:23:26,136 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.security level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,138 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [LOGFILE-AUTHPRIV] to Logger[org.springframework.security]
    07:23:26,140 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.orm.hibernate3] to false
    07:23:26,140 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.orm.hibernate3 level set to ERROR
    07:23:26,142 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.core.joran.action.AppenderRefAction - Attaching appender named [DB_LOGFILE] to Logger[org.springframework.orm.hibernate3]
    07:23:26,144 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LoggerAction - Setting additivity of logger [org.springframework.core.io] to false
    07:23:26,144 |-INFO in ch.qos.logback.classic.joran.action.LevelAction - org.springframework.core.io level set to ERROR

Do they come from postgresql ? I installed the 9.5 version with the sudo apt-get command because the link in the tutorial is dead.
    Thanks
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 772 ✭✭✭
    edited May 24
    Hi PJolivet,
    You can ignore these, because they are what they say they are: INFO. Anything with label error or severe is worth looking into.
    Kind regards,
    Gerben Rienk
    Hi, i don't understand why it doesn't launch if there are no severe messages. But with trying some settings, I have now these ones :
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
    SEVERE: One or more listeners failed to start. Full details will be found in the appropriate container log file
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext startInternal
    SEVERE: Context [/OpenClinica] startup failed due to previous errors
    May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/OpenClinica] appears to have started a thread named [[email protected]$May 25, 2018 6:49:45 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase clearReferencesThreads
    SEVERE: The web application [/OpenClinica] appears to have started a thread named [[email protected]$May 25, 2018 6:49:46 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoaderBase loadClass
    INFO: Illegal access: this web application instance has been stopped already. Could not load net.sf.ehcache.util.Produ$java.lang.IllegalStateException

Do you know where could they come ?
    Thanks
    Here is the reason of the startinternal error :
    SEVERE: Exception sending context initialized event to listener instance of class org.akaza.openclinica.dao.core.OCContextLoaderListener
    $ is org.akaza.openclinica.exception.OpenClinicaSystemException: Copying files, Could not create direcotry: /var/lib/tomcat7/openclinicadata/xslt.