We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Unable to upload CRF. After pressing Preview CRF version I get a blank screen

Hi!
I'm using OC 3.14 425de43caf8e 2019-02-08 in Ubuntu system.

I am having trouble uploading a CRF of 1.639 KB and 5738 variables. .
When I try to upload this and press Preview CRF Version I get a white screen with no error messages. That is all.
I have tried several things: I uploaded the content of the CRF by parts (successfully, this meaning that there are no errors in the structure). I could even upload successfully the exact same file to OC installed in a Windows server (OC 3.13), but I am unable to upload it in the Ubuntu system.

Furthermore, I guess that it might have something to do with the connection, since sometimes I can upload the reduced file and sometimes I get the blank screen.

Does anybody know why this is happening?
Can anyone advise me on this topic?
Thank you in advance

Viqui

Comments

• Csaba.HalmagyiCsaba.Halmagyi ✭✭ Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited June 5
    Hi Victoria,

I had similar issues a while ago and a thorough investigation led me to the source of the problem: special characters.

When you upload a crf openclinica makes several inserts to its database, but if the crf has special characters, such as apostrophes ('), semicolons(;), quotes (") it may result in an error and unfortunately the exception was not handled (hence the white screen) properly.
    Additionally I had issues with using the less then and greater then characters as well (<>), unless you are using html tags I wouldn't suggest having those in the crf either.

Please look for these special characters in your crf and remove them, then try uploading the crf again.
    Hope this helps!

Regards,
    Csaba
  • VictoriaFVictoriaF Posts: 10
    Hi Csaba,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this, removing any special character, such as apostrophes ('), semicolons(;), quotes ("), equals (=) and even (<>), and still I am unable to upload it. I keep getting the blank screen with no error messages, nothing.

I attach the file, this is a reduced version, if you might want to try to upload, it might be a problem of my connection, because I can't think of anything else.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

Regards,
    Viqui
    Hi Csaba,

Thanks for your reply. I have tried this, removing any special character, such as apostrophes ('), semicolons(;), quotes ("), equals (=) and even (<>), and still I am unable to upload it. I keep getting the blank screen with no error messages, nothing.

It might be a problem of my connection, because I can't think of anything else.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

Regards,
    Viqui
  • kristiakkristiak ✭✭✭ Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
    Hi Viqui,
    Like you say. it seems tio be a problem with your connevtion with your Ubuntu server. But unfortunately I have no experience with Ubuntu systems, I exclusively using Microsoft servers. But wayback when OC just had become available this sort of problems could occur and it was usually due to slow or unreliable connections.
    My advice is to check with an Ubuntu expert.

Best regards and good luck

Krister
    Hi Kristiak,

Thanks for your advice. It might be de only solution, because there is no other thing I can think of and check. I have tried almost everything.

Best regards and thanks again!

Viqui
    Thanks to everyone for your help. We have finally found the problem and the solution:

####

ERROR REGISTERED IN LOG ( /var/lib/tomcat7/logs/catalina.out ) : java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
    ####
    URL with proposed solutions: http://forums.openclinica.com/search?Search=Java+heap+space

Line executed in terminal as root ( and adjusted permits like the other files in the directory): /usr/share/tomcat7/bin/ - user tomcat7 rwx-r-w-r-x - setenv.sh )

echo 'CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512M -Xmx1024M"' > /usr/share/tomcat7/bin/setenv.sh

SOLVED THANKS TO : https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6897476/tomcat-7-how-to-set-initial-heap-size-correctly

Solution from : Phat H. VU

file : /usr/share/tomcat7/bin/setenv.sh

Content :

CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512M -Xmx1024M"

RESTART TOMCAT :

systemctl restart tomcat7