We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OC slow

Hi all,
I'm having problems with OpenClinica. Clicking on the Add subject becomes veryslow, it takes up to 5 minutes to open. It's weird because the rest works fine, it's just that section which is slow. Some time ago I run a script 'performance.sql' and greatly improved the database. There is another script to optimize the database?
Greetings
Matias.

Comments

• Have you run a vacuum-analyze recently? If not your indexes may need
    rebuilding.
    On Friday May 13 2011 12:17:13 William Aviles Monterrey wrote:
    > > In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page is way
    > > too slow.
    > >
    > > What could be happening?
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > >
  • wmonterreywmonterrey Posts: 22
    In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page is way too slow.

What could be happening?

Best,
  • Paul GalvinPaul Galvin Posts: 886
    Hi Everyone,
    As Aaron mentioned, one of the ways to speed up performance is to vacuum
    your database and re-index it.
    In OpenClinica 3.1, we have taken significant steps to improve the speed
    of the application for a single user as well as multiple concurrent
    users. One thing we did is take the performance indexes available to
    only Enterprise clients and put them into the community version.
    Internally we ran tests with 10 users entering data and submitting forms
    at the exact same time on an extremely large database. In instances in
    3.0.x where users could take "coffee breaks" while waiting for the page
    to load, users will now see save times in less than 5-10 seconds.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    OpenClinica
    781-547-8425
    Register for the 2011 OpenClinica Global Conference | May 8-9 | Boston
    www.openclinica.com
    Open Source Platform for Clinical Research
    -----Original Message-----
    [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Aaron Sheldon
    Sent: Friday, May 13, 2011 2:16 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Developers] OC slow
    Have you run a vacuum-analyze recently? If not your indexes may need
    rebuilding.
    On Friday May 13 2011 12:17:13 William Aviles Monterrey wrote:
    > > In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page
    is way
    > > too slow.
    > >
    > > What could be happening?
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > >
  • sneha2sneha2 Posts: 36
    I have been facing the same problem recently.. When 5 users are entering data at the same time it is very slow and sometimes I have to restart Tomcat.
    Can you please pass on the performance.sql code which you have mentioned in the earlier page.
    Best Regards,
    Sneha
    On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, William Aviles Monterrey wrote:
    In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page is way too slow.

What could be happening?

Best,
    In our case we only have two people entering data. I have run the vaccum and reindexing options in pgadmin.
    Does someone know the largest number of records in one oc implementation? I am asking this because when we started the system was running way much better than now.
    I didn't mentioned that we are using oc inside a LAN, so the problems are not related to internet speed.
    Any advice would be much appreciated
    Best
    William Aviles
    Enviado desde mi iPhone
    El 13/05/2011, a las 23:16, Sneha Kothare escribió:
    > I have been facing the same problem recently.. When 5 users are entering data at the same time it is very slow and sometimes I have to restart Tomcat.
    >
    > Can you please pass on the performance.sql code which you have mentioned in the earlier page.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Sneha
    >
    > On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, William Aviles Monterrey wrote:
    >
    > In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page is way too slow.
    >
    > What could be happening?
    >
    > Best,
    >
    >
    >
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 808 ✭✭✭
    Hi William,

Maybe you should also have a look at your Tomcat settings. You can see what is assigned to Tomcat and what it uses in
    /manager/status and /manager/status/all , where you can see (very detailed) what’s going on. In your case I would look at EnterDataForStudyEventServlet and InitialDataEntryServlet.
    (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/OutOfMemoryError)
    Experiment with how much you can assign to Tomcat: start with 512 for initial and 1024 for maximum, if your server has this on board. (if it hasn’t, Tomcat will not start). I think 2 Gb is the max for Tomcat.
    If your system hangs regularly, try increasing the permsize (for example -XX:PermSize=512m)

If all this doesn’t improve your performance, have a look at what’s running at your server otherwise and especially what’s happening communication-wise. Maybe all sorts of ports are open (ftp, smtp, snmp, etc.) or maybe a program like Exchange-server is taking up most processing power. Maybe you have anti-virus software scanning your Tomcat log directories and that’s causing the problem.

On the other hand: if your hardware-specs are top of the class and your software-configuration is lean and mean and your postgres is optimised and still OC is performing poorly, maybe you have a faulty disk, so every read/write action takes ages, because of error-correction.

Bad performance is a monster with many, many heads. Hope this helps a bit,

Gerben Rienk

Van: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Namens William Aviles
    Verzonden: zaterdag 14 mei 2011 17:43
    Aan: [email protected]
    Onderwerp: Re: [Developers] OC slow

In our case we only have two people entering data. I have run the vaccum and reindexing options in pgadmin.

Does someone know the largest number of records in one oc implementation? I am asking this because when we started the system was running way much better than now.

I didn't mentioned that we are using oc inside a LAN, so the problems are not related to internet speed.

Best

William Aviles
    Enviado desde mi iPhone
    >
    > I have been facing the same problem recently.. When 5 users are entering data at the same time it is very slow and sometimes I have to restart Tomcat.
    >
    > Can you please pass on the performance.sql code which you have mentioned in the earlier page.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > Sneha
    >
    > On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, William Aviles Monterrey wrote:
    >
    > In our case when the crf is filled, each time we go to another page is way too slow.
    >
    >
    >
    > What could be happening?
    >
    >
    >
    > Best,
    >
    >
    >
    >
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    Hi Gerben and others. The new version 3.1 is considerably faster, specially if you run it in a 64 bit environment and with PostgreSQL 9.x there it load most forms twice as fast as 3.0.4 with PostgreSQL 8.x . I have done extensive testing of 3.1 with different set ups and this is what I found.

Regards

Krister
    Sent: 15 May 2011 12:51

Hi William,

Maybe you should also have a look at your Tomcat settings. You can see what is assigned to Tomcat and what it uses in
    /manager/status and /manager/status/all , where you can see (very detailed) what’s going on. In your case I would look at EnterDataForStudyEventServlet and InitialDataEntryServlet.
    (http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/OutOfMemoryError)
    Experiment with how much you can assign to Tomcat: start with 512 for initial and 1024 for maximum, if your server has this on board. (if it hasn’t, Tomcat will not start). I think 2 Gb is the max for Tomcat.
    If your system hangs regularly, try increasing the permsize (for example -XX:PermSize=512m)

If all this doesn’t improve your performance, have a look at what’s running at your server otherwise and especially what’s happening communication-wise. Maybe all sorts of ports are open (ftp, smtp, snmp, etc.) or maybe a program like Exchange-server is taking up most processing power. Maybe you have anti-virus software scanning your Tomcat log directories and that’s causing the problem.

On the other hand: if your hardware-specs are top of the class and your software-configuration is lean and mean and your postgres is optimised and still OC is performing poorly, maybe you have a faulty disk, so every read/write action takes ages, because of error-correction.
    Bad performance is a monster with many, many heads. Hope this helps a bit,

Gerben Rienk

Van: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Namens William Aviles
    Verzonden: zaterdag 14 mei 2011 17:43
    Aan: [email protected]
    Onderwerp: Re: [Developers] OC slow

Best

William Aviles
    Enviado desde mi iPhone
    I have been facing the same problem recently.. When 5 users are entering data at the same time it is very slow and sometimes I have to restart Tomcat.
    Can you please pass on the performance.sql code which you have mentioned in the earlier page.
    Best Regards,
    Sneha
    On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 11:47 PM, William Aviles Monterrey wrote:

What could be happening?

Best,
    Thanks Gerben,

The systems doesn't hang, i think memory settings are fine:

Free memory: 962.89 MB Total memory: 998.43 MB Max memory: 1254.43 MB

Looking at InitialDataEntryServlet info i can see this:

InitialDataEntryServlet [ /InitialDataEntry ]
    Processing time: 86032.96 s Max time: 1023387 ms Request count: 5919 Error count: 0 Load time: 1 ms Classloading time: 1 ms
    EnterDataForStudyEventServlet [ /EnterDataForStudyEvent ]
    Processing time: 0.0 s Max time: 0 ms Request count: 0 Error count: 0 Load time: 0 ms Classloading time: 0 ms
    I will check your other recommendations and let you know my findings
    Thank you
    Best

William
    Hi Krister

I am running 3.1 in a 32 bit environment. However, i am using postgreSQL 8.4.

You think if i move to 9.x would be helpful?

Thank you

William
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭
    I think that it is the 64bit environment that 9.x runs under that makes it much faster. Mind you I have run it on a PC with 8 Gb RAM and a 3.3 Ghz quad processor. I don’t really know it just moving to 9.x would help if you still have the same amount of memory in a 32bit setup. Before version 9 there was no PostgreSQL available that took advantages of the 64bit architecture. It is at least 20 years since Oracle shifted to a 64bit Unix environment and that shift gave amazing speed improvements.

Regards

Krister
    Sent: 16 May 2011 16:34

Hi Krister

I am running 3.1 in a 32 bit environment. However, i am using postgreSQL 8.4.

You think if i move to 9.x would be helpful?

Thank you

William
This discussion has been closed.