We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OpenClinica 3.0.4 Performance Issue on Production Environment

Hi ,
I am facing severe issue on the production environment on tomcat performance , on the OpenClinica 3.0.4 version .
Details Are
-----------------
OpenClinica version - 3.0.4
PostGres -8.4
OS- Windows 2008
Tomcat Version -6.x
Java - 1.6
Study - 1
Subject - 780 Approx already entered , More to be added
Pages - 5000 + Same amount more to be added
Tomcat Configuration
-----------------------------------
-Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
-Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
-Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\common\endorsed
-Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp
-Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
-Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
-XX:+UseParallelGC
-XX:ParallelGCThreads=4
-XX:MaxPermSize=180m
-XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
Maximum memory pool -1280 .
Please let me know if any more details required .. Can any one help me on this .
Thanks
Ajay Kumar

Comments

• ajayjiitajayjiit Posts: 52
    Hi ,
    I am facing severe issue on the production environment on tomcat performance , on the OpenClinica 3.0.4 version .
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\common\endorsed
    -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp
    -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
    Please let me know if any more details required .. Can any one help me on this .
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
    Hi ,
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
    Hi Rob ,
    I am not able to post on the forum any more , Can you please share my query on the forum please .
    Or Can you guide me what settings i need to do to post on the form , I have posted many queries earlier but unable to do so now ,''
    Thanks
    Ajay
    ----------------------
    Hi ,
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
    On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Rob Rittberg wrote:
    Hi Ajay,
    I apologize for my slow reply, I have been on holiday (Thanksgiving). I did see your forum posts today and since I'm not proficient on the information you require, the community will be better suited to answer. Thank you.
    Warm Regards,
    Rob Rittberg | OpenClinica, LLC
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    Direct: 781.547.8416
    [email protected] | www.openclinica.com
    On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Ajay Jha wrote:
    Hello RRittberg ,
    My Posts are not sent to users so thought to share with you , Where as earlier i was able to post my querries . Can you please help me out on below issue .
    Thanks ,
    Ajay
    ----------------------
    Hi ,
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
    Hi Rob ,
    I am not able to post on the forum any more , Can you please share my query on the forum please .
    Or Can you guide me what settings i need to do to post on the form , I have posted many queries earlier but unable to do so now ,''
    Thanks
    Ajay
    ----------------------
    Hi ,
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
    On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Rob Rittberg wrote:
    Hi Ajay,
    I apologize for my slow reply, I have been on holiday (Thanksgiving). I did see your forum posts today and since I'm not proficient on the information you require, the community will be better suited to answer. Thank you.
    Warm Regards,
    Rob Rittberg | OpenClinica, LLC
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    Direct: 781.547.8416
    [email protected] | www.openclinica.com
    On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Ajay Jha wrote:
    Hello RRittberg ,
    My Posts are not sent to users so thought to share with you , Where as earlier i was able to post my querries . Can you please help me out on below issue .
    Thanks ,
    Ajay
    ----------------------
    Hi ,
    Details Are
    -----------------
    PostGres -8.4
    OS- Windows 2008
    Tomcat Version -6.x
    Java - 1.6
    Study - 1
    Tomcat Configuration
    Thanks
    Ajay Kumar
  • zwets-kcrizwets-kcri Posts: 50
    Ajay,
    Your posts are coming through all right to the users' list, but the list doesn't (always?) distribute the message back to the sender. @Rob: I find that confusing too, maybe a setting you can change?
    Regarding your performance issues: are you sure Tomcat is the issue and not PostgreSQL? Have you tuned PostgreSQL as indicated in the OC & PostgreSQL installation & tuning instructions?
    As for your Tomcat config, I don't see any -Xmx setting. Are you sure you are giving it the 1280MB?
    Regarding further Tomcat tuning, remove all -XX parameters from your Tomcat configuration, unless you have positively[1] established that they should be there. Tomcat's built-in optimisation mechanism will tune these parameters for you. By 'clamping' them you're mainly obstructing Tomcat's options for optimisation.
    The only parameter you must[2] set at JVM start time is -Xmx, maximum allowed system memory. This makes Tomcat easy to to tune: set -Xmx to the maximum allowed system memory consumption and in many situations you're done[3].
    Kind regards,
    Marco
    [1] I.e. you have empirical evidence from a long-running test on *this very* machine, with this very JVM, and Tomcat version, and OC version, and usage pattern. In particular, "an expert on the internet recommends it", is no empirical evidence, unless peer reviewed ;-)
    [2] For the obvious reason that the JVM (or any other application running within it), can never be allowed to set its own limit on the amount of system memory it is *allowed* to consume.
    [3] Only set -XX:MaxPermSize once you run into "out of permanent space" exceptions. Since this option normally is a workaround for leaky applications, don't forget to bug the developers to get their application fixed, too. (Yeah, OC devs, I'm looking at you! :-))
    On 02/12/13 09:02, Ajay Jha wrote:
    > Hi Rob ,
    > I am not able to post on the forum any more , Can you please share my query on the forum please .
    > Or Can you guide me what settings i need to do to post on the form , I have posted many queries earlier but unable to do so now ,''
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ajay
    >
    > ----------------------
    > Hi ,
    > I am facing severe issue on the production environment on tomcat performance , on the OpenClinica 3.0.4 version .
    >
    > Details Are
    > -----------------
    > OpenClinica version - 3.0.4
    > PostGres -8.4
    > OS- Windows 2008
    > Tomcat Version -6.x
    > Java - 1.6
    >
    >
    > Study - 1
    > Subject - 780 Approx already entered , More to be added
    > Pages - 5000 + Same amount more to be added
    >
    > Tomcat Configuration
    > -----------------------------------
    > -Dcatalina.home=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
    > -Dcatalina.base=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0
    > -Djava.endorsed.dirs=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\common\endorsed
    > -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\temp
    > -Djava.util.logging.manager=org.apache.juli.ClassLoaderLogManager
    > -Djava.util.logging.config.file=C:\Program Files (x86)\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\conf\logging.properties
    > -XX:+UseParallelGC
    > -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4
    > -XX:MaxPermSize=180m
    > -XX:+CMSClassUnloadingEnabled
    >
    >
    > Maximum memory pool -1280 .
    >
    >
    > Please let me know if any more details required .. Can any one help me on this .
    >
    >
    > Thanks
    > Ajay Kumar
    >
    >
    >
    > On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 5:18 PM, Rob Rittberg > wrote:
    >
    > Hi Ajay,
    >
    > I apologize for my slow reply, I have been on holiday
    > (Thanksgiving). I did see your forum posts today and since I'm not
    > proficient on the information you require, the community will be
    > better suited to answer. Thank you.
    >
    > Warm Regards,*
    > Rob Rittberg *|*OpenClinica, LLC*
    > Marketing & Communications Manager
    > Direct: *781.547.8416*
    > Skype: *rrittberg*
    > [email protected] |
    > www.openclinica.com
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > On Thu, Nov 28, 2013 at 9:57 AM, Ajay Jha > wrote:
    >
    > Hello RRittberg ,
    > My Posts are not sent to users so thought to share
    > with you , Where as earlier i was able to post my querries .
    > Can you please help me out on below issue .
    >
    > Thanks ,
    > Ajay
    >
    > ----------------------
    > Hi ,
    > I am facing severe issue on the production environment
    > on tomcat performance , on the OpenClinica 3.0.4 version .
    >
    > Details Are
    > -----------------
    > OpenClinica version - 3.0.4
    > PostGres -8.4
    > OS- Windows 2008
    > Tomcat Version -6.x
    > Java - 1.6
    >
    >
    > Study - 1
    > Subject - 780 Approx already entered , More to be added