We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

RE: [Developers] Conditionals again (sorry)

As a work around I would suggest making 2 versions: “Alive” and “Dead”, and leave both in production. This would allow the User to select the appropriate version and allow you to mark the questions as “required”. If this was a repeating event, each time the event was scheduled the User would still have the option of selecting the appropriate version for that occurrence.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alicia Goodwin

Akaza Research LLC
[email protected]
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:28 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [Developers] Conditionals again (sorry)

Hi all,
I am now totally aware that skip questions/conditionals are not a feature of OpenClinica currently. In many instances in my CRF I've been able to come up with a work around which is still fairly elegant. For example:
1. Is the subject Male or Female?
2. If Female, is she pregnant?
OK, since we can't do this gracefully in OpenClinica my solutions looks like this?
1. Subject is:
- Male
- Female - pregnant
- Female - not pregnant
It's not ideal but in a small case like this it's really not a bad solution and I'm satisfied with it. Now I've encountered a whole new level of conditional question:
We have 5 clinical reviews, at 1 hr, 4 hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs. Each clinical review has LOTS of questions and they are all REQUIRED. Can anyone guess what the first question is?
1. At the time of review is the patient: alive/dead?
... if alive please go on to answer the following 17 questions, all of which are REQUIRED!
I am aware that OpenClinica doesn't allow skip questions (yet) but does anyone have ideas of a good "design pattern" which is elegant despite this limitation? OR should I be using Events to provide this functionality? So that if the subject survived the first 8 hours then the data entry clerk schedules that event (that targets it's own CRF) 3 times and fills in each of the three correctly with respect to REQUIRED fields?
Thanks,
Paul
--
Media & Software Studio
+254 736 998202

Comments

• pschwarzpschwarz Posts: 49
    That's a pretty elegant workaround, thanks very much Alicia, I'll give it a go.
    Paul
    2008/6/19 Alicia Goodwin :
    Hello, Paul –

As a work around I would suggest making 2 versions: "Alive" and "Dead", and leave both in production. This would allow the User to select the appropriate version and allow you to mark the questions as "required". If this was a repeating event, each time the event was scheduled the User would still have the option of selecting the appropriate version for that occurrence.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alicia Goodwin

Akaza Research LLC
    [email protected]
    Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2008 5:28 AM
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: [Developers] Conditionals again (sorry)

Hi all,
    I am now totally aware that skip questions/conditionals are not a feature of OpenClinica currently. In many instances in my CRF I've been able to come up with a work around which is still fairly elegant. For example:
    1. Is the subject Male or Female?
    2. If Female, is she pregnant?
    OK, since we can't do this gracefully in OpenClinica my solutions looks like this?
    1. Subject is:
    - Male
    - Female - pregnant
    - Female - not pregnant
    It's not ideal but in a small case like this it's really not a bad solution and I'm satisfied with it. Now I've encountered a whole new level of conditional question:
    We have 5 clinical reviews, at 1 hr, 4 hrs, 8hrs, 24hrs, 48hrs. Each clinical review has LOTS of questions and they are all REQUIRED. Can anyone guess what the first question is?
    1. At the time of review is the patient: alive/dead?
    ... if alive please go on to answer the following 17 questions, all of which are REQUIRED!
    I am aware that OpenClinica doesn't allow skip questions (yet) but does anyone have ideas of a good "design pattern" which is elegant despite this limitation? OR should I be using Events to provide this functionality? So that if the subject survived the first 8 hours then the data entry clerk schedules that event (that targets it's own CRF) 3 times and fills in each of the three correctly with respect to REQUIRED fields?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    --
    Media & Software Studio
    +254 736 998202
This discussion has been closed.