We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OC access woes

Hi,
I finally go the server I was waiting for to instal OC on. We installed and everything went well. We tried the clients and they all conected well.
The disaster. We somehow forgot the exact password and were unable to log into OC to create users, studies, etc.
So we tried the following, all with no success:
1. Deleted the openclinica database in postgres and create it again, tried to login - no luck
2. Uninstall and install again postgres, create the openclinica DB and tried to login - no luck
3. Uninstalled Postgress, Tomcat and OC, removed all references to these apps from the registry, removed all the folders related to these apps, reinstalled and re-configured everything, tried to login again - no luck.
4. Repeated step 3. on a different drive of the server, E:\ nstead of C:
In all these three attempts we tried the default password for the user "root" - "12345678". We also tried the password that we "remember to have rest to - after initial login - all with no success.
So we are stuck. Can some one please advice how to get around this? I thought that a complete uninstall/removal of all the components of OC (tomcat, postgres and OC it's self) would solve the problem but that does not seem to be the case.
Please advice what we should do to be able to continue working with OC.
Kind regards,
Clemens
--
Clemens P. Masesa,
820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
Mwanza,
Tanzania.
Mobile: +255 (0)784 447129
Phone +255 (0)28 2561139

Comments

• Re: [Users] OC access woes Hi Clemens,
    The passwords are stored in the PostgresDB, un-installation of Tomcat and OpenClinica was unnecessary. The following you tried should work.
    Deleted the openclinica database in postgres and create it again, tried to login - no luck
    Did you load the openclinica database files into the database after you re-created it? If not that is your issue. If that did not work their is an issue with tomcat not communicating to the postgres. I would recommend to check to see if you put the appropriate postgresqlxxxxxxxx.jar file in %TOMCAT_HOME%\common\libs directory.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Open Source Platform for Clinical Research
    Register Now for the OpenClinica European Summit 2009
    Reply-To:
    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 18:31:01 +0300
    To: "[email protected]"
    Subject: [Users] OC access woes
    Hi,
    I finally go the server I was waiting for to instal OC on. We installed and everything went well. We tried the clients and they all conected well.
    The disaster. We somehow forgot the exact password and were unable to log into OC to create users, studies, etc.
    1. Deleted the openclinica database in postgres and create it again, tried to login - no luck
    2. Uninstall and install again postgres, create the openclinica DB and tried to login - no luck
    3. Uninstalled Postgress, Tomcat and OC, removed all references to these apps from the registry, removed all the folders related to these apps, reinstalled and re-configured everything, tried to login again - no luck.
    In all these three attempts we tried the default password for the user "root" - "12345678". We also tried the password that we "remember to have rest to - after initial login - all with no success.
    So we are stuck. Can some one please advice how to get around this? I thought that a complete uninstall/removal of all the components of OC (tomcat, postgres and OC it's self) would solve the problem but that does not seem to be the case.
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
  • cpmasesacpmasesa Posts: 106
    Hi Shaun,
    Yes, I did load the OC files after I re-installed postgres. I did this by running the two sql scripts to create roles and db with data.
    Yes, I did put the .jar files in the folder..\common\libs as instructed.
    When I did the re-install I followed the installation instructons to the letter, I did everything that was required of me.
    What I expected was that after the re-install I would be able to access OC with the user "root" and password "12345678". But this is not so.
    Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Shaun Martin wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    The passwords are stored in the PostgresDB, un-installation of Tomcat and OpenClinica was unnecessary. The following you tried should work.
    Deleted the openclinica database in postgres and create it again, tried to login - no luck
    Did you load the openclinica database files into the database after you re-created it? If not that is your issue. If that did not work their is an issue with tomcat not communicating to the postgres. I would recommend to check to see if you put the appropriate postgresqlxxxxxxxx.jar file in %TOMCAT_HOME%\common\libs directory.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    To: "[email protected]"
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
    I would take a look at your tomcat logs to see if their is anything useful in their. I would still say your issue is tomcat not communicating with postgres. Make sure OpenClinica.xml is configured correctly.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    Office: (617) 621-8585 x 13
    Cell: (978) 360-3402
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:54:59 +0300
    To:
    Subject: Re: [Users] OC access woes
    Hi Shaun,
    Yes, I did load the OC files after I re-installed postgres. I did this by running the two sql scripts to create roles and db with data.
    When I did the re-install I followed the installation instructons to the letter, I did everything that was required of me.
    What I expected was that after the re-install I would be able to access OC with the user "root" and password "12345678". But this is not so.
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Reply-To: >
    To: "[email protected] " >
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
    Hi Shaun,
    I will post the tomcat logs tomorrow morning, Ihave already left the office.
    I configured OpenCLinica.xml as per the instruction. Exactly as I did when I originally installed.
    I am on GMT + 3 and my experience is that most of the guys who help me out are rarely online at 7am my time. Could you advice as to what I should be looking for in the log file that would give me an indication of the nature of the problem? Or how to check if tomcat is not talking to postgres?
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:07 PM, Shaun Martin wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    I would take a look at your tomcat logs to see if their is anything useful in their. I would still say your issue is tomcat not communicating with postgres. Make sure OpenClinica.xml is configured correctly.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    To:
    Hi Shaun,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
    If their is a communication problem between Tomcat and Postgres you will see an error like this.
    SEVERE: Exception opening database connection
    org.postgresql.util.PSQLException: The connection attempt failed.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 20:28:47 +0300
    To:
    Hi Shaun,
    I configured OpenCLinica.xml as per the instruction. Exactly as I did when I originally installed.
    I am on GMT + 3 and my experience is that most of the guys who help me out are rarely online at 7am my time. Could you advice as to what I should be looking for in the log file that would give me an indication of the nature of the problem? Or how to check if tomcat is not talking to postgres?
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    To: >
    Hi Shaun,
    Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:15 PM, Shaun Martin > wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
    Thanks for the information.
    I will look for this and try to reset the configurations again.
    Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Shaun Martin wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    If their is a communication problem between Tomcat and Postgres you will see an error like this.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    To:
    Hi Shaun,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi Shaun,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
    Hi,

I have tried to get my OC installation up and running again with no success.

I again re-installed postgres no success. Re-installed the entires software stack - still no success.

I have attached the the config files and a log file to see if some one can look at them and tell me what the problem could be.

TIA

Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Clemens P. Masesa wrote:
    Thanks for the information.
    I will look for this and try to reset the configurations again.
    Clemens
    On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 9:39 PM, Shaun Martin wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    To:
    Hi Shaun,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi Shaun,
    Clemens
    Hi Clemens,
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com >
    www.openclinica.org >
    Hi,
    Kind regards,
    Clemens
    --
    Clemens P. Masesa,
    820 / 821 Bwiru Press,
    Mwanza,
    Tanzania.
    Phone +255 (0)28 2561139
  • Hi Clemens,

Can you tell if the Postgres driver is in the right place? These instructions are dated for the 2.0.1 release but still might solve your problems: http://www.openclinica.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=publicwiki:upgrade2.0.1driver

Hope that helps, Tom
    Hi Tom,

I followed the instructions on the wiki but no success.

There is a line in the laast event of the log that I attached suggest that authentication failed. Does this mean that tomcat could not find the postgres db? it can not be the user name and password as they are the default root and 12345678 because it is a fresh install.

Clemens
    On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Tom Hickerson wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    Can you tell if the Postgres driver is in the right place? These instructions are dated for the 2.0.1 release but still might solve your problems: http://www.openclinica.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=publicwiki:upgrade2.0.1driver
    Hope that helps, Tom
    Is postgres and tomcat on the same machine? If so change the IP address in openclinica.xml to “localhost” instead of “192.168.0.1”. By default postgres only listens on localhost (127.0.0.1) and not it’s workstation IP. This can be changed but by default it is only listening on localhost.
    Thanks,
    Shaun
    --
    Shaun Martin
    Systems Administrator
    Akaza Research
    [email protected]
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Reply-To:
    Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 16:56:48 +0300
    To:
    Hi Tom,

I followed the instructions on the wiki but no success.

There is a line in the laast event of the log that I attached suggest that authentication failed. Does this mean that tomcat could not find the postgres db? it can not be the user name and password as they are the default root and 12345678 because it is a fresh install.

Clemens
    On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 4:33 PM, Tom Hickerson wrote:
    Hi Clemens,
    Hope that helps, Tom
This discussion has been closed.