We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

installing tomcat

Dear all,

I am facing a problem with re-installing tomcat. First, i installed it and it has been running for a while now. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it but it failled. it gives me the following error;

"Windows could not start the apache Tomcat on a local computer. For more information, review the system Event log. If this is a non Microsoft service contact the service vendor, and refer to service specific error code 0."

I really need some help
Thanks

Emily

Comments

• Hi Emily,
    Tomcat service needs a dynamic linked library routine msvcr71.dll to run. This dll gets installed when you install java (sdk or jdk) in multiple places (e.g. folders: ..../jdk/bin, ..../jdk/jre/bin, ....jdk/jre/bin/new_plugin. This dll is also installed by postgres in multiple folders (.../psotgreSQL/bin, etc). You can right click on the java folder and search and also search the postgres base directory. If you have installed both JDK (or sdk) and postgres under one folder .../oc/ as suggested in the openclinica installation instruction, then you right click on the folder oc and search for msvcr71.dll. That will give you the exact locations where this msvcr71.dll is installed.
    Now you need to create a link for this file. If it is in ...jkd/bin, then your system variable JAVA_HOME should have the link, C:/oc/.../jkd/bin, assuming you had a folder in C drive. Or you can create links to other places where you find this msvcr71.dll file. Once you do this tomcat will start.
    If you have difficulty in doing this please email me your search results. for msvcr71.dll I will email you the link you need to create in the system variable.
    Anu
    Dr. Anukanth Anumanthan
    Dana Farber Cancer Institute
    --- On Sat, 9/26/09, Emily Diana wrote:
    > > From: Emily Diana
    > > Subject: [Users] installing tomcat
    > > To: "openclinica"
    > > Date: Saturday, September 26, 2009, 9:47 AM
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Dear all,
    > >
    > > I am facing a problem with re-installing tomcat.
    > > First, i installed it and it has been running for a while
    > > now. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it but it
    > > failled. it gives me the following error;
    > >
    > >
    > > "Windows could not start the apache
    > > Tomcat on a local computer. For more information, review the
    > > system Event log. If this is a non Microsoft service contact
    > > the service vendor, and refer to service specific error code
    > > 0."
    > >
    > > I really need some help
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Emily
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > -----Inline Attachment Follows-----
    > >
    > >
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Dear Emily,

First of all, why did you uninstall Tomcat when it was running? It seems to me that you might not have been able to uninstall everything, there seems to be fragments still left- You can still go to the control panel and look in PROGRAMS. If you still see TOMCAT , try uninstall this again. If this does not work, the only effective way of getting rid of all traces is to edit the windows REGISTRY, but do not do this unless you are an experienced system user.

One tip. Follow the written instructions to the letter, the video instructions are no good for the current version.

Good luck

Krister
    Sent: 26 September 2009 15:48
    To: openclinica
    Subject: [Users] installing tomcat

Dear all,

I am facing a problem with re-installing tomcat. First, i installed it and it has been running for a while now. I uninstalled it and tried to reinstall it but it failled. it gives me the following error;

"Windows could not start the apache Tomcat on a local computer. For more information, review the system Event log. If this is a non Microsoft service contact the service vendor, and refer to service specific error code 0."

I really need some help
    Thanks

Emily
This discussion has been closed.