We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

CRF version upload errors: Is it a problemwithduplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?

Rex,

If you are uploading a new version of a CRF that already exists, you can not change the Description Label, Data Type, Units or PHI Status for an item name. If you are uploading a completely separate CRF, as in your example of a Medical Log form and a Demographic form, you can change the information I specified previously.

I just tested out both scenarios on 3.0. In the first scenario, I uploaded a new version of a CRF where I changed the Description Label for an item_name called Adverse Event that already existed as part of the original CRF version. I received the error message that I expected and that you have seen below.

In the second scenario, I changed the name of the CRF and uploaded it separately from the other CRF that contained the item_name Adverse Event. I did not receive any error messages or problems, and committed the CRF to the database.

Can you please confirm whether you were uploading a new CRF version and changing the description label, or if you were uploading a separate CRF? Also, if you could please attach the CRFs you have experienced this problem and send them to the list, we can attempt to recreate the problem if you receive the error message when uploading a brand new CRF.

Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Paul J. Galvin
Project Manager
Akaza Research
www.akazaresearch.com
www.openclinica.org
~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:35 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [Users] CRF version upload errors: Is it a problemwithduplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?

Hi Paul,
Sorry to be so lengthy with this reply.
Your answer implies that ITEM_NAME/DESCRIPTION_LABELs must be unique across all CRFs in the system. For example, if I used an ITEM_NAME of q19a in a Concomittment Medical Log form, and then used that same ITEM_NAME in a Demographic form, I would have to have the same DESCRIPTION_LABEL in both forms, which wouldn't be correct. The q19a would represent a different question and different response value in the two forms.
I think my description of the problem is still not good enough. What I have is two separate forms that capture two different sets of data, but happen to use the same ITEM_NAMEs. I did not mean to say that CRF B was another version of CRF A. I am trying to upload another version of CRF B, but the DESCRIPTION_LABEL for that form has not changed. It should be "19. Ophtalmologic", but the error message refers to the DESCRIPTION_LABEL of CRF A.
Perhaps the fact that this DESCRIPTION_LABEL looks like LEFT_ITEM_TEXT is confusing. I used this example, because I used a tool to translate another style of form into the OpenClinica spreadsheet template, and this was a simple way of entering something into the field.
Just to repeat, this problem only occurs when I try to update to a new version of one of these forms. The initial creation of these forms occurs without error despite the duplicate ITEM_NAMEs with different DESCRIPTION_LABELs.
Do you think we should put this thread on the developer mailing list, and possibly create a bug-report?
Rex
Subject: RE: [Users] CRF version upload errors: Is it a problem withduplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:49:44 -0400
Hi Rex,

The Description is referring to the Description Label in the CRF. The item name can not have different description labels, so you will need to make sure the CRF version B matches CRF version A for q19a.
The description label is never displayed to the data entry person, so if you want 19. Ophthamologic to be seen, you should be using Left Item or Right Item text.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul J. Galvin
Project Manager
Akaza Research
www.akazaresearch.com
www.openclinica.org
~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:43 PM
Subject: RE: [Users] CRF version upload errors: Is it a problem withduplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?

Thanks Paul,
I double-checked several of the DESCRIPTION_LABELs. There are no extra spaces in those fields. Did you intend some other field that has a description?
On the other hand, I will try to explain my observation more accurately. I have two CRFs (A and B), both have a q19a ITEM_NAME, but the DESCRIPTION_LABEL for each is different.
FORM ITEM_NAME DESCRIPTION_LABEL
CRF A q19a "Potential lethality: Only answer if "Actual lethality/Medical..."
CRF B q19a "19. Ophthalmologic"
When I try to upload a new version of CRF B, the error message reports that I have attempted to change the DESCRIPTION. But, I have not touched the DESCRIPTION in CRF B. The error message is reporting the DESCRIPTION text from CRF A.
Rex
Subject: RE: [Users] CRF version upload errors: Is it a problem with duplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:19:02 -0400
Hi Rex,

Please check to ensure there is no extra white space at the end of your description for this new version. OpenClinica is going to make sure all of the characters in that field for q19a in the new version match exactly what was provided in the original version of the CRF. If there is an extra space or ‘ anywhere, OpenClinica will provide you the error message you mentioned.

Thanks,
Paul

Paul J. Galvin
Project Manager
Akaza Research
www.akazaresearch.com
www.openclinica.org
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 4:14 PM
Subject: [Users] CRF version upload errors: Is it a problem with duplicate ITEM_NAME in multiple forms?

I have received the following error while attempting to upload a new version of an existing CRF in a development version of OpenClinica v3.0.
==
You may not modify the Description, Data Type, Units, or PHI Status of items already included in this CRF.
The item 'q19a' in your spreadsheet already exists for this CRF (as part of another version) and has a different DESCRIPTION(Potential lethality: Only answer if "Actual lethality/Medical damage"
==
The DESCRIPTION mentioned in the full error posting matches exactly with the DESCRIPTION field of a totally separate CRF which happens to have the same ITEM_NAME of q19a.
We have several CRFs that have duplicate ITEM_NAMEs in them. All of the CRFs loaded the first time without error. This problem only occurs when attempting to add a new version, and it appears that the error message MAY always refer back to the DESCRIPTON field of the offending ITEM_NAME found in the very first CRF that was loaded with that ITEM_NAME.
Has anyone else encountered this before? Does anyone have a workaround for it?
Even though we are using duplicate ITEM_NAMEs, my assumption is that they should be linked to the unique CRF_NAME/CRF_OID, and therefore no conflict of this nature should be possible.
Thanks.
Rex Gray
Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

Insert movie times and more without leaving Hotmail®. See how.

Lauren found her dream laptop. Find the PC that’s right for you.
This discussion has been closed.