We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Root password recovery

Hi,

I have a study that I had not accessed for an extended period of time. When I enter the value I have recorded for the root password I get the message: "Your Username and Password combination cannot be found" with further instructions to click the "Forgot Password" link. Clicking this link displays a blank page. Is there some way to reset the root password from the system? The OpenClinica version is 2.5.4

Best regards,

Bill Klawitter Database Admin/Application III

Institute for Clinical and Translational Science
University of Iowa
200 Hawkins Drive/C44-21GH
Iowa City, IA 52242

Ph. (319) 467-5479

Comments

• Hi Bill,

Have there been any other users created in this instance with Technical Admin privileges? If so, try to login as one of those users and then reset the Root password. If you do not have any Technical Administrator accounts, you will have to go directly to the database to reset the password. Please see that attached email that was sent last week about someone experiencing a similar issue.

Thanks,
    Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    ~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica
    Sent: Thursday, December 31, 2009 5:05 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: [Users] Root password recovery

Hi,

I have a study that I had not accessed for an extended period of time. When I enter the value I have recorded for the root password I get the message: "Your Username and Password combination cannot be found" with further instructions to click the "Forgot Password" link. Clicking this link displays a blank page. Is there some way to reset the root password from the system? The OpenClinica version is 2.5.4

Best regards,

University of Iowa
    Iowa City, IA 52242

Ph. (319) 467-5479
    ForwardedMessage.eml
    Hi Wei,
    Can you see if the accounts you have been trying to login with have been Locked? You can go to the user_account table and look at the account_non_locked column. The value should say True.

If you have no other way of getting the root account, you can put the MD5 hash for the default root password of 12345678. You can find this by going to a MD5 generator site on the web.

Thanks,
    Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    ~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica
    Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:27 PM
    Subject: RE: [Developers] OpenClinica 3.0 login issue

Adam,

Thank you so much for your quick response. I did log in by root before and added a user successfully. After I change the password of root, then I can’t log in by it. I would like to use forget password to help to get a new one, it was failed too due to password challenge of root didn’t setup. I wonder if I did something wrong so that update password failed, that happened each time I changed the password for user root and others. What do I need to check? Is that any way to get the password of root except reinstall the database?

Thanks,
    Wei
    Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 3:32 PM
    Subject: Re: [Developers] OpenClinica 3.0 login issue

Haven't encountered this before.
    First thing I would focus on is logging in as root, and making that work. Don't worry about creating other accounts first. I see the following in your log which is odd.
    12/30 13:26:27 DEBUG o.a.o.w.f.OpenClinicaAuthenticationProcessingFilter:411 - Authentication request failed: org.springframework.security.BadCredentialsException: Bad credentials
    12/30 13:26:27 DEBUG o.s.s.c.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter:395 - SecurityContext stored to HttpSession: '[email protected]f: Null authentication'
    After I fail to login in OC 3.0, I see the 411 but not the 395 line after it. So this is out of the ordinary. But it still says Bad credentials first which means you entered the incorrect name or password.
    Can you login as root? If not, you may have to reinstall unless someone has a way to reset root password.
    For your other accounts I would check the user_account table in postgres. I use pgAdmin (http://www.pgadmin.org/download/) to connect to postgres. Install it on the same machine and use the username and password you defined datainfo.properties to connect.
    Navigate to the user_account table, right-click, select View Data, View All Rows. The first row should be the root account. Make sure status_id =1, enabled=TRUE, account_non_locked=TRUE.
    If this correct, then we know that the failed login for root lies somewhere between the user and the tomcat/open clinica configuration.
    On Wed, Dec 30, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Wei Guo wrote:
    Hi,

I work on the Openclinica 3.0 which was installed in Window 2008 server. The database is Postgresql in the same box. Everything seems work except user’s password (no matter what it is root or other created) doesn’t always work. When a new user account created, it works. When logout then login, it doesn’t work. If I use forget password to reset the password, it tells the password challenge is not verified. What problem is it? The attached is the log file.

Any suggestions and debug experience are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Wei
  • Hi Paul,

Thanks, problem solved.

Best regards,

University of Iowa
    Iowa City, IA 52242

Ph. (319) 467-5479
This discussion has been closed.