We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Insert a value into a calculated item

Hello,
I'm using a rule (insertaction) to insert a value into a calculated item.
It works but I would like to be sure to follow the right way when I set the calculated item in the crf.

The 2 columns I want to focus are the RESPONSE_TYPE and the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS.

In the RESPONSE_TYPE I select 'calculation' because I want to prevent any modification on it.

The RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS column should be left empty because I don't want to calculate/derive the value
from another item in the crf but, since it is no possible, in this column I put its own ITEM_NAME.

What I would like to be sure is:
is it right to put the ITEM_NAME in the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS or it could cause errors?
Is there is a better way to do that? Suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.
Saluti/Regards
Alfonso
Senior Clinical Systems Analyst

Comments

• Hello,
    It works but I would like to be sure to follow the right way when I set the calculated item in the crf.

The 2 columns I want to focus are the RESPONSE_TYPE and the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS.

In the RESPONSE_TYPE I select 'calculation' because I want to prevent any modification on it.

The RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS column should be left empty because I don't want to calculate/derive the value
    from another item in the crf but, since it is no possible, in this column I put its own ITEM_NAME.

is it right to put the ITEM_NAME in the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS or it could cause errors?

Many thanks in advance.
    Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 815 ✭✭✭
    Hello Alfonso,

Your XL will not upload, because the item you use in RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS must be before the item you want to insert into.
    What you could use however is
    func: getExternalValue(“”, right, 1,1)
    This may look funny, but what it actually does is that it displays a link to nothing. But it prevents the user from manually editing your item and you can still insert a value into it using your InsertAction.
    Hope this helps,

Gerben Rienk Visser
    http://www.trialdatasolutions.com

Van: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Namens Pastori, Alfonso [Nervianoms]
    Verzonden: dinsdag 25 september 2012 17:12
    Aan: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Onderwerp: [Users] Insert a value into a calculated item

Hello,

Many thanks in advance.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
  • Hello Gerben,
    first of all, thanks for your suggestion.

Regarding your observation that the XL will not uploaded I have to say that I already use the workaround
    (in the same row put the ITEM_NAME in the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS),
    the XL has been uploaded and after testing I can say that it seems work correctly.

What I'm not sure is if that could causes problems that at the moment I don't see.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
    Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 22:23
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Users] Insert a value into a calculated item
    Hello Alfonso,

Your XL will not upload, because the item you use in RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS must be before the item you want to insert into.
    This may look funny, but what it actually does is that it displays a link to nothing. But it prevents the user from manually editing your item and you can still insert a value into it using your InsertAction.
    Hope this helps,

Gerben Rienk Visser

Van: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] Namens Pastori, Alfonso [Nervianoms]

Hello,

Many thanks in advance.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 815 ✭✭✭
    Hi Alfonso,

That’s how I learn everyday: by saying something and then getting corrected ;-)
    About your setup: is it not a problem that the user can edit the item you inserted into?
    Your InsertAction will only be executed once and if the user changes the item, it will not be overwritten.
    Kind regards,

Gerben Rienk

Verzonden: woensdag 26 september 2012 14:27
    Aan: [email protected]
    Onderwerp: Re: [Users] Insert a value into a calculated item

Hello Gerben,

Regarding your observation that the XL will not uploaded I have to say that I already use the workaround
    the XL has been uploaded and after testing I can say that it seems work correctly.

What I'm not sure is if that could causes problems that at the moment I don't see.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
    Hello Alfonso,

Hope this helps,

Gerben Rienk Visser

Hello,

Many thanks in advance.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
  • Hi Gerben,
    I have some fields in a crf were the contents depending on the answer reported in other fields in different crfs and I don't want that the user can edit what previously derived.
    It could happen that the user modifies the 'source' value and the derived ones have to change consequently.
    This is the reason I want to set the items as 'calculation' and as 'calculation' I must insert a value in the RESPONSE_VALUES_OR_CALCULATIONS column....
    ... the reason of my 'investigation', what could be the best 'value' to put in it?

Thanks.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
    Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2012 16:42
    Hi Alfonso,

That’s how I learn everyday: by saying something and then getting corrected ;-)
    About your setup: is it not a problem that the user can edit the item you inserted into?
    Your InsertAction will only be executed once and if the user changes the item, it will not be overwritten.
    Kind regards,

Gerben Rienk

Verzonden: woensdag 26 september 2012 14:27
    Aan: [email protected]
    Onderwerp: Re: [Users] Insert a value into a calculated item

Hello Gerben,

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
    Hello Alfonso,

Hope this helps,

Gerben Rienk Visser

Hello,

Many thanks in advance.

Saluti/Regards
    Alfonso
This discussion has been closed.