We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

SASDataset field names

Dear All,

We have one form. We use it for two application. I notice that SASDataset field names for the same form are changed for the two application when I exported them to XML. My question is I do not change form fields, what the reasons to cause ‘SASDataset Field Name” changed for the form fields?

Thanks
May

Comments

• mx8866mx8866 Posts: 109
    Dear All,

We have one form. We use it for two application. I notice that SASDataset field names for the same form are changed for the two application when I exported them to XML. My question is I do not change form fields, what the reasons to cause ‘SASDataset Field Name” changed for the form fields?

Thanks
    May
  • Dear May,

I think we may need more details from you (unless what I write below clears your question up).

In general, OpenClinica likes to avoid naming collisions in its export. The SASFieldName is a 8 character version of the item name, so if two or more items have item names that truncated would be the same 8 characters, then some of the items will end in numbers (similar to how OpenClinica avoids OID issues http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/CRFandOIDissues). In my experience, the CDISC export has an ItemDef for all items in a study (even if they are not exported), and each has a unique SASFieldName. So, if you reuse the same item names in separate CRFs (e.g. Systolic BP [item_name SYSBP] collected in two separate CRFs), then these are also not allowed to be identical, so are given numbers.

For me, this is a bit of an annoyance, but I suppose it’s so each item has a consistent SASFieldName, despite what is exported.

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 26 September 2012 20:55
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]inica.org
    Subject: [Users] SASDataset field names

Dear All,

Thanks
    May

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
  • Dear May,

I think we may need more details from you (unless what I write below clears your question up).

In general, OpenClinica likes to avoid naming collisions in its export. The SASFieldName is a 8 character version of the item name, so if two or more items have item names that truncated would be the same 8 characters, then some of the items will end in numbers (similar to how OpenClinica avoids OID issues http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/CRFandOIDissues). In my experience, the CDISC export has an ItemDef for all items in a study (even if they are not exported), and each has a unique SASFieldName. So, if you reuse the same item names in separate CRFs (e.g. Systolic BP [item_name SYSBP] collected in two separate CRFs), then these are also not allowed to be identical, so are given numbers.

For me, this is a bit of an annoyance, but I suppose it’s so each item has a consistent SASFieldName, despite what is exported.

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 26 September 2012 20:55
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: [Users] SASDataset field names

Dear All,

Thanks
    May

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
This discussion has been closed.