We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Export dataset

Hi all

I am getting the following error when exporting a dataset from OC:

The extract data job failed with the message:
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The value of attribute "OpenClinica:QuestionNumber" must not contain the '<' character.

After some investigation it appears a HTML bold tag used in the question number field of the CRF is the cause of the problem. Has anyone come across this issue and if so how did they successfully export a dataset?

Many thanks
David

David Murray
Trials Programmer
National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit
University of Oxford
Old Road Campus
Headington
Oxford
OX3 7LF

Tel: 01865 289709
Fax: 01865 289701
Web: http://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk
Follow us on Twitter Twitter-for-iPhone-App-Icon-Small

Comments

• dvmurraydvmurray Posts: 14
    Hi all

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: The value of attribute "OpenClinica:QuestionNumber" must not contain the '<' character.

After some investigation it appears a HTML bold tag used in the question number field of the CRF is the cause of the problem. Has anyone come across this issue and if so how did they successfully export a dataset?

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

• huberhuber Posts: 5
    Hi David,

I had trouble exporting data for the same reason. I knew I had used HTML tags to bold question numbers in two worksheets defining data unrelated to the data I was trying to export. After removing the HTML tags from Question_Number in those unrelated worksheets (and reloading new versions), I was able to export successfully. My take-away was to avoid using HTML tags in this field altogether moving forward.

Hope this helps,

Wendy
    Sent: Monday, November 26, 2012 9:32 AM
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: [Users] Export dataset

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

I had trouble exporting data for the same reason. I knew I had used HTML tags to bold question numbers in two worksheets defining data unrelated to the data I was trying to export. After removing the HTML tags from Question_Number in those unrelated worksheets (and reloading new versions), I was able to export successfully. My take-away was to avoid using HTML tags in this field altogether moving forward.

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi Wendy

Thank you for your advice. Did you succeed in exporting any data without having to upload a new version of the CRF? I have tried to export a dataset into a variety of formats without any joy. If all else fails I will upload an amended version of the CRF which does not include HTML tags in the Question_number field.

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Sent: 26 November 2012 18:34
    Subject: Re: [Developers] Export dataset

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi Wendy

Thank you for your advice. Did you succeed in exporting any data without having to upload a new version of the CRF? I have tried to export a dataset into a variety of formats without any joy. If all else fails I will upload an amended version of the CRF which does not include HTML tags in the Question_number field.

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

• Dear David,

I’d imagine you could replicate the database onto another server, edit the data using SQL, export, then correct your edits in the export (Perl/Powershell)? And do this in a documented, scripted way in case you discover other troublesome fields and strings?

It does sound like a bit of work if you are midway through your study and plan to take regular exports?

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 27 November 2012 11:45

Hi Wendy

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

To: [email protected]nclinica.org; [email protected]

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
  • Dear David,

I’d imagine you could replicate the database onto another server, edit the data using SQL, export, then correct your edits in the export (Perl/Powershell)? And do this in a documented, scripted way in case you discover other troublesome fields and strings?

It does sound like a bit of work if you are midway through your study and plan to take regular exports?

Yours,

Michael
    To: [email protected]; u[email protected]

Hi Wendy

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

• Dear David,

I use Powershell to clean up issues with the XML when exporting to CDISC ODM XML - my export goes ok, but I have to fix the XML:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/SAS#Issues_with_importing_CDISC_ODM_1.3

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 27 November 2012 12:53

Dear David,

Yours,

Michael

Hi Wendy

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

• Dear David,

I use Powershell to clean up issues with the XML when exporting to CDISC ODM XML - my export goes ok, but I have to fix the XML:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/SAS#Issues_with_importing_CDISC_ODM_1.3

Yours,

Michael

Dear David,

Yours,

Michael

Hi Wendy

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

In response to your query below, I also tried a handful of export formats, but couldn’t get beyond the error until I uploaded new versions of the unrelated worksheets with HTML tags removed. Hopefully Michael’s workaround will prove productive if it’s more onerous for you to upload a new version.

Best – Wendy
    Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2012 6:13 AM
    Subject: Re: [Users] Export dataset

Dear David,

Yours,

Michael

Dear David,

Yours,

Michael

Hi Wendy

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF

Hi David,

Hope this helps,

Wendy

Hi all

Many thanks
    David

David Murray
    Trials Programmer
    University of Oxford
    Old Road Campus
    Headington
    Oxford
    OX3 7LF