PostgreSQL 9 support, again

Hello,

as many others said before, there is an urgent need for OpenClinica to run on current software releases. Now PostgreSQL 9.5 is available, the 6th release update of the only supported database.

We've been waiting for years and unfortunately, I saw that 9.x support was moved from Q4/2015 to 3.9 to 3.10 to Never [https://trello.com/c/ALQ9gCDN ].

OpenClinica is a great product and you people are doing a great job - no bootlicking, think of ReST support, Open Source, User forums, extensions, ... - but there has to made some plan (@ccollins).

Some of the finest applications were running on IBM OS/2.

Sincerly,
Matthias

--
Matthias Löbe, Inst. for Medical Informatics (IMISE), University of Leipzig
Härtelstr. 16, D-04107 Leipzig, +49 341 97 16113, loebe@imise.uni-leipzig.de

Comments

• Hello Matthias,

We share your frustrations on this issue and would like to join the chorus calling to re-prioritize the upgrade to PostgreSQL 9.x to some release within the near future.

It will eventually be difficult to maintain that we are running a validated system if the database back-end has been out of support for ages (18 months now, and counting).

Best,

Henrik

Henrik Dittmann, IT Department, Institut Jules Bordet, Brussels, Belgium
  • Hallo,
    we too second the request by Mathias and Hendrik. Postgres 9.x offers a large number of performance, scalability and security improvements we'd like to use. If the business-value of supporting 9.x is too small or if there are hidden issues which hinder the 9.x support - for example the columns used in the DN-matrix - then we'd like to offer a helping hand with this.

regards, Jacob
  • ccollinsccollins Posts: 369 admin
    via Email
    Hi all,

Jacob, thanks for the offer to help. Here's the ticket:
    https://jira.openclinica.com/browse/OC-3531. Do you have a sense of where
    we need to get started?

The great thing about OpenClinica's code being open source, is that anyone
    with the motivation, skills, and time can make this happen. As has been
    previously discussed, it doesn't seem like there's a lot that needs to be
    done in the code, hopefully just a few areas like extracts that need some
    updates.

Why hasn't the OpenClinica team done this already? We have major upgrades
    planned to our data center this year, including going to PG9. It's a
    complex project that involves a lot more than just getting the application
    to work on PG9, and those parts are taking time to do properly. Until then,
    there's not a tremendous amount of urgency for us to take on all the work
    implementing and testing PG 9 because we wouldn't be able to deploy it to
    most of our customers anyhow. But we'd love to collaborate with other
    contributors to accelerate it, in whatever way you can contribute - coding,
    testing, documentation, environment setup, etc.

Best,
    Cal
  • BinaryVisionBinaryVision Posts: 38
    edited March 2016
    I noticed PG9 support was moved back to 3.10 on the roadmap for today 3/9/16. Is it really happening or is that inaccurate.
  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 249 ✭✭
    Hey, I am just curious whether somebody can share empirical experience with migration to PostgreSQL 9.5. Jira ticket is marked as done, the support 9.5 was announced in OC 3.10. Is here anybody who is already using 9.5 in production (+ with which version of OC)? Thanks for feedback.

best

Tomas
  • drtesterdrtester Posts: 41
    We use OC 3.11 with PostgreSQL 9.4 in production. Until now, we didn't have any problems regarding pg.
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭
    Hi Tomas,
    I'm equally curios. PQSQL 9.5 really improves performance and would be very welcome.

We have used OC 3.12 with PGSQL 9.5 for test purposes and noticed one problem. When we try to import a backup files generated by our 3.6 version it gives us and error=1 without any further info but the database has seemingly imported correctly with all the data intact. I can't find anything in the log files.

Any comments from Krikor would be welcome!!

Best
    Krister
  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 249 ✭✭
    @kristiak do you have this testing instance of OC running still on tomcat7 or did you already tried tomcat8?
  • kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭
    Yes Tomcat 7.0.61
  • skwalerskwaler Posts: 49
    I have been running 9.5, the only issue found is that extracts do not work correctly.