We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Discrepancy notes and lables

Hello,

I have several questions regarding discrepancy notes:
We would like to be able to sent sites a discrepancy notes report.
1. How the discrepancy notes table can be edited? Is it possible to add more columns (such as subject's secondary id) or to remove some of the columns that are generated?
2. The entity Name that is shown is the CRF item, isn't it suppose to be the description label that was set in the CF excel file? How can it be linked it to the description label?
3. When I download discrepancy notes for all subjects into excel, I get only one note from the list (one line in the excel table). What could be the reason for it?
4. When a discrepancy note is resolved (its resolution status is 'closed'), it is still shown in the list and printed. Is the best solution to delete it manually?

Another issue regarding datasets export is:
I export data as Tab-delimited-text and then import them into SAS. How can I link CRF item names to the description labels, or the response values to the response option text?
Is downloading data in a different format will solve this issue?

Thanks in advance,
Merav

Comments

• Hi Merav,

Here are some answers to your questions:

The only way to edit the discrepancy note tables would be to customize the source code.
    The entity name is supposed to be Item_Name of the CRF, or the name of the field that is not a part of the CRF. For example, the subject’s Date of Enrollment is a field that is collected when the subject is registered and is not part of the CRF. A discrepancy note can be added to this field so the Entity Name would be Date_of_Enrollment. It is not meant to be the Description Label you defined in the CRF template.
    In a future release, we will be making this column either the Left or Right Item text of the field so it matches what the data entry person would see during data entry.
    Can you please explain the steps you are taking before downloading the CSV file of discrepancy notes?
    You can not delete discrepancy notes and you should not delete Closed notes. You can use the filters in the Notes and Discrepancies Matrix and List to only see the statuses you want to see and to download.
    Many users have posted about SAS and the CDISC ODM XML format. I recommend you browse the archives of the forums for the information. The SPSS and ODM exports in OpenClinica will contain metadata for you to use.

Thanks,
    Paul

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    ~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica
    Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 5:44 AM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: [Users] Discrepancy notes and lables

Hello,

1. How the discrepancy notes table can be edited? Is it possible to add more columns (such as subject's secondary id) or to remove some of the columns that are generated?
    2. The entity Name that is shown is the CRF item, isn't it suppose to be the description label that was set in the CF excel file? How can it be linked it to the description label?
    3. When I download discrepancy notes for all subjects into excel, I get only one note from the list (one line in the excel table). What could be the reason for it?
    4. When a discrepancy note is resolved (its resolution status is 'closed'), it is still shown in the list and printed. Is the best solution to delete it manually?

I export data as Tab-delimited-text and then import them into SAS. How can I link CRF item names to the description labels, or the response values to the response option text?

Thanks in advance,
    Merav
  • merav2merav2 Posts: 24
    Hi Paul,

I appreciate your help.

To download the CSV file of discrepancy notes, I go to 'Notes and Discrepancies', select the 'Download discrepancy notes for all subjects' icon at the top of the table and then select 'comma separated values' format in the popup window.
    As a result, I get in the CSV file only one of the notes (Attached are the CSV file and a screenshot of discrepancy notes in oc).

Where can I find the files related to the discrepancy notes?

Thanks and Happy new year,
    Merav

--- On Mon, 12/28/09, Paul Galvin wrote:
    Subject: RE: [Users] Discrepancy notes and lables
    To: [email protected]ica.org
    Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 1:09 PM
    Hi Merav,

The only way to edit the discrepancy note tables would be to customize the source code.
    The entity name is supposed to be Item_Name of the CRF, or the name of the field that is not a part of the CRF. For example, the subject’s Date of Enrollment is a field that is collected when the subject is registered and is not part of the CRF. A discrepancy note can be added to this field so the Entity Name would be Date_of_Enrollment. It is not meant to be the Description Label you defined in the CRF template.
    In a future release, we will be making this column either the Left or Right Item text of the field so it matches what the data entry person would see during data entry.
    Can you please explain the steps you are taking before downloading the CSV file of discrepancy notes?
    You can not delete discrepancy notes and you should not delete Closed notes. You can use the filters in the Notes and Discrepancies Matrix and List to only see the statuses you want to see and to download.
    Many users have posted about SAS and the CDISC ODM XML format. I recommend you browse the archives of the forums for the information. The SPSS and ODM exports in OpenClinica will contain metadata for you to use.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    ~ OpenClinica Enterprise ~ Ask me about professional training, support, and services for OpenClinica

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Merav

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----
  • Hi Merav,

Could you send a backup of your database to me? It seems your file is being cut off at the Date Updated field. Also, please try to generate the complete file again and then zip up all of your log files so we can see if there is an error message in there.

I was unable to recreate this on any of the databases we have.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Sent: Wednesday, December 30, 2009 4:32 AM

Hi Paul,

I appreciate your help.

To download the CSV file of discrepancy notes, I go to 'Notes and Discrepancies', select the 'Download discrepancy notes for all subjects' icon at the top of the table and then select 'comma separated values' format in the popup window.
    As a result, I get in the CSV file only one of the notes (Attached are the CSV file and a screenshot of discrepancy notes in oc).

Where can I find the files related to the discrepancy notes?

Thanks and Happy new year,
    Merav

--- On Mon, 12/28/09, Paul Galvin wrote:
    Date: Monday, December 28, 2009, 1:09 PM
    Hi Merav,

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

Hello,

Thanks in advance,
    Merav

Hi Paul,
    Attached are the log files. It would be greatly appreciated if you'll tell me where I can find the database so I can send it.
    Another thing- Our system language is not set to English so OpenClinica does not accept the English format date (01-Dec-2009), but only the Hebrew. Do you think this causes the problem?
    Also, if you need other files please let me know.
    Thanks for your help,
    Merav

--- On Wed, 12/30/09, Paul Galvin wrote:
    To: [email protected].org
    Date: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 1:53 PM
    Hi Merav,

Could you send a backup of your database to me? It seems your file is being cut off at the Date Updated field. Also, please try to generate the complete file again and then zip up all of your log files so we can see if there is an error message in there.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

Attachments:
    log.zip 66.3 KB
  • Hi Merav,

The following error message is in one of the logs: java.io.CharConversionException: Not an ISO 8859-1 character: ã

That leads me to believe it is something to do with the Hebrew language being used for OpenClinica, but we can definitely check if we had a backup of your database. Did you install the application for yourself, or did someone do it for you?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 3:02 AM

Hi Paul,
    Attached are the log files. It would be greatly appreciated if you'll tell me where I can find the database so I can send it.
    Another thing- Our system language is not set to English so OpenClinica does not accept the English format date (01-Dec-2009), but only the Hebrew. Do you think this causes the problem?
    Thanks for your help,
    Merav

Hi Merav,

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Hi Paul,

I installed oc myself.
    The operating system which is installed on that computer is Windows XP Heb.
    Changing the language settings will solve this problem? Or we should install the English version?

Thanks,
    Merav
    --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Paul Galvin wrote:
    Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 2:18 PM
    Hi Merav,

The following error message is in one of the logs: java.io.CharConversionException: Not an ISO 8859-1 character: ã

That leads me to believe it is something to do with the Hebrew language being used for OpenClinica, but we can definitely check if we had a backup of your database. Did you install the application for yourself, or did someone do it for you?

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your help,
    Merav

Hi Merav,

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

• Hi Merav,

When you installed OpenClinica, you would have at one point opened up PG Admin to create the database. You will need to open up PG Admin, connect to your postgres database, and then right click on your OpenClinica database name. You should see an option to Backup your database after you have right-clicked.

Choose Backup, and then select a location to save the file to. Once you have done that, select OK. When the backup process finishes, please send me the database offline from the users’ list.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
    Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 2010 9:31 AM

Hi Paul,

I installed oc myself.
    The operating system which is installed on that computer is Windows XP Heb.
    Changing the language settings will solve this problem? Or we should install the English version?

Thanks,
    Merav
    --- On Mon, 1/4/10, Paul Galvin wrote:
    Date: Monday, January 4, 2010, 2:18 PM
    Hi Merav,

Thanks,
    Paul
    Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

Hi Paul,
    Thanks for your help,
    Merav

Hi Merav,

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org

Hi Paul,

Problem solved. Just had to setup oc to use English as system language (in tomcat- java configuration).

Thanks for your help,
    Merav

--- On Tue, 1/5/10, Paul Galvin wrote:
    Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010, 12:30 PM
    Hi Merav,

When you installed OpenClinica, you would have at one point opened up PG Admin to create the database. You will need to open up PG Admin, connect to your postgres database, and then right click on your OpenClinica database name. You should see an option to Backup your database after you have right-clicked.

Choose Backup, and then select a location to save the file to. Once you have done that, select OK. When the backup process finishes, please send me the database offline from the users’ list.

Thanks,
    Paul

Paul J. Galvin
    Project Manager
    Akaza Research
    781-547-8425
    www.akazaresearch.com
    www.openclinica.org
This discussion has been closed.