We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Exporting data with 8 bit characters

kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
Hi,

I have discovered a strange problem. When exporting data that contains characters such as ÅåÄäÖö, they show up like this Ã…Ã¥ Ää Öö when exported into HTML, Excel or SPSS. They look fine when exported as ODM or TAB delimited TEXT. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best regards

Krister

This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask you to notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and delete this message from your system. E-mail is susceptible to unauthorised alterations which may corrupt the message of the e-mail. e-Source Technology EMR only sends and receives e-mails on the basis that e-Source Technology EMR is not liable for any unauthorised alterations.

Comments

• kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I have discovered a strange problem. When exporting data that contains characters such as ÅåÄäÖö, they show up like this Ã…Ã¥ Ää Öö when exported into HTML, Excel or SPSS. They look fine when exported as ODM or TAB delimited TEXT. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best regards

Krister

This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask you to notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and delete this message from your system. E-mail is susceptible to unauthorised alterations which may corrupt the message of the e-mail. e-Source Technology EMR only sends and receives e-mails on the basis that e-Source Technology EMR is not liable for any unauthorised alterations.
  • Dear Krister,

Would this issue reflect your problem?
    https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/view.php?id=11409

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 29 May 2012 15:14
    To: [email protected]; [email protected]
    Subject: [Users] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
  • JanusJanus Posts: 260
    And this: https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/view.php?id=14380
    I have not tried exporting the SPSS or ODM formats, but the danish letters are displayed incorrectly for Excel, HTML and the TAB format.
    Best,
    Janus
    Michael Bluett
    Sent by: [email protected]
    29-05-2012 17:26
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To
    "[email protected]" , "[email protected]"
    cc

Subject
    Re: [Users] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Dear Krister,

Yours,

Michael

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

Hi Janus,

We always up here in the cold north suffer because the English speaking part of the population does not recognize 8 bit characters sets! J

But I have found one possible partial solution. If I export the data as TAB text and save it as UTF-8 without BOM in e.g. Notepad++ the it will display all characters correctly. Now I’m looking for a solution to save the Excel file as UTF-8. I have not figured it out yet but I’m sure I’ll find something.

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 12:01 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Users] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

I have not tried exporting the SPSS or ODM formats, but the danish letters are displayed incorrectly for Excel, HTML and the TAB format.
    Best,
    Janus
    Michael Bluett
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject

Dear Krister,

Yours,

Michael

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• kristiakesourcekristiakesource Posts: 133
    Yes Michel it does. Exactly as described.

Regards

Krister
    Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:19 PM

Dear Krister,

Yours,

Michael

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• ccollinsccollins Posts: 379 admin
    Krister,
    The ‘excel’ export file is actually just a tab delimited text file with an .xls extension. So you can probably do the same thing as for TAB, for now.
    Best,
    Cal
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:08 AM

Hi Janus,

We always up here in the cold north suffer because the English speaking part of the population does not recognize 8 bit characters sets! J

But I have found one possible partial solution. If I export the data as TAB text and save it as UTF-8 without BOM in e.g. Notepad++ the it will display all characters correctly. Now I’m looking for a solution to save the Excel file as UTF-8. I have not figured it out yet but I’m sure I’ll find something.

Best regards

Krister

Best,
    Janus
    Michael Bluett
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject

Dear Krister,

Yours,

Michael

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

Thanks Cal, that’s useful information.

Regards

Krister
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 7:29 PM

Krister,
    The ‘excel’ export file is actually just a tab delimited text file with an .xls extension. So you can probably do the same thing as for TAB, for now.
    Best,
    Cal
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 9:08 AM

Hi Janus,

Best regards

Krister

Best,
    Janus
    Michael Bluett
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject

Dear Krister,

Yours,

Michael

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

This discussion has been closed.