We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

[Developers] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Hi Krister,

Could you please try modifying the XSLT stylesheet associated with the html extract format odm_to_html.xsl to include following line and try after that?:

You will find this line present in stylesheet for tab-delimited format ODMToTAB.xsl. For some reason it is not present for html which most likely could be a bug. Please let me know your result after including this line and I will create a ticket to fix this. If this does not solve your problem, is it possible to share your CDISC ODM xml file output which I can use for debugging?

You can find the XSLT stylesheets inside openclinica.data/xslt directory. openclinica.data directory is the value of 'filePath' variable in datainfo.properties file where OpenClinca stores the temporary files. This gets overwritten every time when application server is restarted and for this not to happen you will have to modify the XSLT stylesheets which are included in OpenClinica distribution.

I do not know why you are seeing different behavior for Excel and TAB delimited formats though as both of them by default use same XSLT stylesheet.

Thank you,
Pradnya
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 10:14 AM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [Developers] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Hi,

I have discovered a strange problem. When exporting data that contains characters such as ÅåÄäÖö, they show up like this Ã…Ã¥ Ää Öö when exported into HTML, Excel or SPSS. They look fine when exported as ODM or TAB delimited TEXT. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best regards

Krister

This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask you to notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and delete this message from your system. E-mail is susceptible to unauthorised alterations which may corrupt the message of the e-mail. e-Source Technology EMR only sends and receives e-mails on the basis that e-Source Technology EMR is not liable for any unauthorised alterations.

Comments

• kristiakesourcekristiakesource Posts: 133
    The line is missing from the stylesheet. But when I try to export he html data I get an error as per the attached mail

After restart I still get the same error. Do you want to see the log, in that case, which log file?

Regards

Krister

I
    Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4:40 PM
    Subject: Re: [Users] [Developers] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Hi Krister,

Could you please try modifying the XSLT stylesheet associated with the html extract format odm_to_html.xsl to include following line and try after that?:

You will find this line present in stylesheet for tab-delimited format ODMToTAB.xsl. For some reason it is not present for html which most likely could be a bug. Please let me know your result after including this line and I will create a ticket to fix this. If this does not solve your problem, is it possible to share your CDISC ODM xml file output which I can use for debugging?

You can find the XSLT stylesheets inside openclinica.data/xslt directory. openclinica.data directory is the value of 'filePath' variable in datainfo.properties file where OpenClinca stores the temporary files. This gets overwritten every time when application server is restarted and for this not to happen you will have to modify the XSLT stylesheets which are included in OpenClinica distribution.

I do not know why you are seeing different behavior for Excel and TAB delimited formats though as both of them by default use same XSLT stylesheet.

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

I have discovered a strange problem. When exporting data that contains characters such as ÅåÄäÖö, they show up like this Ã…Ã¥ Ää Öö when exported into HTML, Excel or SPSS. They look fine when exported as ODM or TAB delimited TEXT. How can I prevent this from happening?

Best regards

Krister

This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask you to notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and delete this message from your system. E-mail is susceptible to unauthorised alterations which may corrupt the message of the e-mail. e-Source Technology EMR only sends and receives e-mails on the basis that e-Source Technology EMR is not liable for any unauthorised alterations.

ForwardedMessage.eml
    An exception was thrown while running an extract job on your server, please see the logs for more details.
    Attachments:
    ForwardedMessage.eml 1.7 KB
  • pgawadepgawade Posts: 10
    Krister,

Do you get the mentioned error after you add the line that sent you? If so, please send me the copy of your modified stylesheet. To know more about error from logs you can share both tomcat and OpenClinica log files.

Thank you,
    Pradnya
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 10:23 AM
    To: [email protected]

The line is missing from the stylesheet. But when I try to export he html data I get an error as per the attached mail

After restart I still get the same error. Do you want to see the log, in that case, which log file?

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭
    I thought so at first but then I rebooted the server and still see the problem. I think it is something linked with the characters. I’ll copy the database to a test server and try something else and let you know.

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Wednesday, May 30, 2012 6:29 PM

Krister,

Do you get the mentioned error after you add the line that sent you? If so, please send me the copy of your modified stylesheet. To know more about error from logs you can share both tomcat and OpenClinica log files.

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

Hi Pradnya,

We solved the problem by exporting the data as TAB-TEXT and open it in NOTEPAD++, converting it UTF-8 and the opening it in Excel

Regards

Krister

Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• JanusJanus Posts: 260
    Hi Krister,
    You didn't solve the problem, you fixed the immediate situation of a non-UTF8 file containing symbols not being represented correctly. With next export you'll face the same situation.
    Please, Akaza Research, this is a very annoying bug and needs to be fixed soon. If the extracted data isn't the same as when put into the database, we have a problem.
    Best,
    Janus
    "Krister Kristianson beta-JUDO,Uppsala University"
    Sent by: [email protected]
    07-06-2012 09:28
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject
    Re: [Users] [Developers] Exporting data with 8 bit characters

Hi Pradnya,

We solved the problem by exporting the data as TAB-TEXT and open it in NOTEPAD++, converting it UTF-8 and the opening it in Excel

Regards

Krister

Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• Dear Janus,

Currently this appears to be targeted for a version 3.1.4 (or later) release:
    https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/view.php?id=14318

Looking at the roadmap, 3.1.3 is planned for the end of July, and 3.1.4 is planned for the end of Nov (though to me this overlaps somewhat with 3.2’s release in early 2013):
    https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/roadmap_page.php

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 07 June 2012 10:07

Hi Krister,
    You didn't solve the problem, you fixed the immediate situation of a non-UTF8 file containing symbols not being represented correctly. With next export you'll face the same situation.
    Please, Akaza Research, this is a very annoying bug and needs to be fixed soon. If the extracted data isn't the same as when put into the database, we have a problem.
    Best,
    Janus
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject

Hi Pradnya,

Regards

Krister

Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

Hi Janus,

Yes I solved it for now. It requires some additional steps but it works fine. I do as follows.

I export the data as TAB-TEXT and open the file with Notepad++. I convert the file to UTF-8 and save it as a TXT file. This file I can the open up with Excel and all the formatting issues are gone.

By the way, it also solves another issue I discovered when trying to read an exported Excel file with MS ACCESS. The Excel export has a space character or some other invisible character in front of all column names with the exception of the first two, subject ID and protocol ID. When you try to read the Excel file with MS ACCEss you get an error message saying “Illegal character” cannot import. This is resolved by using the textfile instead.

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2012 11:07 AM

Hi Krister,
    Best,
    Janus
    Please respond to
    [email protected]

To

cc

Subject

Hi Pradnya,

Regards

Krister

Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Regards

Krister

I

Hi Krister,

Thank you,
    Pradnya

Hi,

Best regards

Krister

• JanusJanus Posts: 260
    Oh, well ... I have Notepad++ installed ;) Excellent tool, by the way!
    Best,
    Janus
    [email protected] wrote: -----
    To: "[email protected]"
    Date: 07-06-2012 12:09
    Dear Janus,
    Currently this appears to be targeted for a version 3.1.4 (or later)
    release:
    https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/view.php?id=14318
    Looking at the roadmap, 3.1.3 is planned for the end of July, and 3.1.4 is
    planned for the end of Nov (though to me this overlaps somewhat with 3.2’s
    release in early 2013):
    https://issuetracker.openclinica.com/roadmap_page.php
    Yours,
    Michael
    On Behalf Of Janus Engstrøm
    Sent: 07 June 2012 10:07
    Hi Krister,
    You didn't solve the problem, you fixed the immediate situation of a
    non-UTF8 file containing symbols not being represented correctly. With next
    export you'll face the same situation.
    Please, Akaza Research, this is a very annoying bug and needs to be fixed
    soon. If the extracted data isn't the same as when put into the database,
    we have a problem.
    Best,
    Janus
    "Krister Kristianson beta-JUDO,Uppsala University" < [email protected]
    > >
    Please respond to
    [email protected]
    To < [email protected] >
    cc
    Subject Re: [Users] [Developers] Exporting data with 8 bit characters
    Hi Pradnya,
    We solved the problem by exporting the data as TAB-TEXT and open it in
    NOTEPAD++, converting it UTF-8 and the opening it in Excel
    Regards
    Krister
    On Behalf Of Pradnya Gawade
    Krister,
    Do you get the mentioned error after you add the line that sent you? If so,
    please send me the copy of your modified stylesheet. To know more about
    error from logs you can share both tomcat and OpenClinica log files.
    Thank you,
    Pradnya
    On Behalf Of Krister Kristianson beta-JUDO,Uppsala University
    The line is missing from the stylesheet. But when I try to export he html
    data I get an error as per the attached mail
    After restart I still get the same error. Do you want to see the log, in
    that case, which log file?
    Regards
    Krister
    I
    On Behalf Of Pradnya Gawade
    To: [email protected] ; [email protected]
    Hi Krister,
    Could you please try modifying the XSLT stylesheet associated with the html
    extract format odm_to_html.xsl to include following line and try after
    that?:

You will find this line present in stylesheet for tab-delimited format
    ODMToTAB.xsl. For some reason it is not present for html which most likely
    could be a bug. Please let me know your result after including this line
    and I will create a ticket to fix this. If this does not solve your
    problem, is it possible to share your CDISC ODM xml file output which I can
    use for debugging?
    You can find the XSLT stylesheets inside openclinica.data/xslt directory.
    openclinica.data directory is the value of 'filePath' variable in
    datainfo.properties file where OpenClinca stores the temporary files. This
    gets overwritten every time when application server is restarted and for
    this not to happen you will have to modify the XSLT stylesheets which are
    included in OpenClinica distribution.
    I do not know why you are seeing different behavior for Excel and TAB
    delimited formats though as both of them by default use same XSLT
    stylesheet.
    Thank you,
    Pradnya
    [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Krister
    Kristianson
    To: [email protected] ; [email protected]
    Hi,
    I have discovered a strange problem. When exporting data that contains
    characters such as ÅåÄäÖö, they show up like this Ã…Ã¥ Ää Öö when
    exported into HTML, Excel or SPSS. They look fine when exported as ODM or
    TAB delimited TEXT. How can I prevent this from happening?
    Best regards
    Krister
    This e-mail (including any attached documents) is proprietary and
    confidential and may contain legally privileged information. It is intended
    for the named recipient(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, you
    may not review, retain, copy or distribute this message, and we kindly ask
    you to notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and delete this
    message from your system. E-mail is susceptible to unauthorised alterations
    which may corrupt the message of the e-mail. e-Source Technology EMR only
    sends and receives e-mails on the basis that e-Source Technology EMR is not
    liable for any unauthorised alterations.
This discussion has been closed.