We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Label type

While building forms in the framework, I often come across an issue where I have a chunk of text that I need to add to my forms (instructions, explanations, etc.) and I have a hard time getting them into the forms. It usually boils down to brute-forcing the text into either the left or right item text fields with a bunch of HTML tags surrounding it. Is there any other way to get just text information into the form, or would it be possible to have an item of type label added to the system in future releases (no input field)?

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
Research Informatics Core
614-722-2505
Nationwide Children's Research Institute
[email protected]

----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice: The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.

Comments

• drignatjdrignatj Posts: 17
    While building forms in the framework, I often come across an issue where I have a chunk of text that I need to add to my forms (instructions, explanations, etc.) and I have a hard time getting them into the forms. It usually boils down to brute-forcing the text into either the left or right item text fields with a bunch of HTML tags surrounding it. Is there any other way to get just text information into the form, or would it be possible to have an item of type label added to the system in future releases (no input field)?

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]

----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice: The following mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the confidentiality of this information and to use the information only for authorized purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
  • Dear Joshua,

I try to put chunks of text in left or right item text fields and sometimes in the header section of the item.

A feature I’d like to see added is a column for text under an item (similar to a header). I can put multiple paragraphs of text into the left item text, and they appear below each other, effectively under the item, but they are constrained to the width of the question column. A workaround for this is to put the text into the header of the next question, but this doesn’t work if the item is the last item in a Section or CRF.

I wrote a spreadsheet that I called ‘TextCalculator’ to quickly format bits of text into HTML paragraphs:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/TextManipulation
    I mentioned it earlier this month on the User mailing list:
    https://mailman.openclinica.com/pipermail/users/2012-May/007101.html

I’ve also tried to simplify an OpenClinica spreadsheet, and have columns for text to the right of the item and under the item with the limitation mentioned above:
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/AutomatingCRFs
    (the spreadsheet also does other things, including generating test data. Perhaps it should be using the ‘under’ text in the header of any next item)

Yours,

Michael
    Sent: 31 May 2012 17:47
    To: '[email protected]'; '[email protected]'
    Subject: [Users] Label type

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
  • Dear Joshua,

I try to put chunks of text in left or right item text fields and sometimes in the header section of the item.

A feature I’d like to see added is a column for text under an item (similar to a header). I can put multiple paragraphs of text into the left item text, and they appear below each other, effectively under the item, but they are constrained to the width of the question column. A workaround for this is to put the text into the header of the next question, but this doesn’t work if the item is the last item in a Section or CRF.

I wrote a spreadsheet that I called ‘TextCalculator’ to quickly format bits of text into HTML paragraphs:

I’ve also tried to simplify an OpenClinica spreadsheet, and have columns for text to the right of the item and under the item with the limitation mentioned above:
    (the spreadsheet also does other things, including generating test data. Perhaps it should be using the ‘under’ text in the header of any next item)

Yours,

Michael

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish Charity, No: SC015096
    Michael,

That’s pretty much the same thing that I’m currently doing to force large sections of text into my forms. As an aside, I’ve also found a way to “break out” of the constrained widths of the label columns by simply closing the row and starting a new row (for example: ) without the class associated with the table cell. This buys me that I don’t have to work within the same width for everything, but it tends to clutter up my spreadsheet a bit, and I need to style the text within personally. Eventually, I’ll create my own class and add it to the stylesheet, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 6:06 AM
    To: [email protected]; '[email protected]'
    Subject: Re: [Developers] Label type

Dear Joshua,

Yours,

Michael

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]
    Michael,

That’s pretty much the same thing that I’m currently doing to force large sections of text into my forms. As an aside, I’ve also found a way to “break out” of the constrained widths of the label columns by simply closing the row and starting a new row (for example: ) without the class associated with the table cell. This buys me that I don’t have to work within the same width for everything, but it tends to clutter up my spreadsheet a bit, and I need to style the text within personally. Eventually, I’ll create my own class and add it to the stylesheet, but I haven’t gotten to that point yet.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]
    Sent: Monday, June 04, 2012 6:06 AM
    To: [email protected]; '[email protected]'
    Subject: Re: [Developers] Label type

Dear Joshua,

Yours,

Michael

Thanks.

Joshua Drignat
    614-722-2505
    [email protected]
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    Hello Joshua,
    You might consider using the Tip function.
    Put something in your RightItemText like:
    [a href="javascript:void(0)" onmouseover="Tip('Here I can write immensely
    long instructions!')" onmouseout="UnTip()"]Instructions[/a]
    (Replace all [] with sharp brackets, see screenshot.)
    Now you have an unworking link on your CRF but when the mouse hovers there
    it shows your text.
    Hope this helps,
    Gerben Rienk
    http://www.trialdatasolutions.com
    > > While building forms in the framework, I often come across an issue where
    > > I have a chunk of text that I need to add to my forms (instructions,
    > > explanations, etc.) and I have a hard time getting them into the forms.
    > > It usually boils down to brute-forcing the text into either the left or
    > > right item text fields with a bunch of HTML tags surrounding it. Is there
    > > any other way to get just text information into the form, or would it be
    > > possible to have an item of type label added to the system in future
    > > releases (no input field)?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Joshua Drignat
    > >
    > > Research Informatics Core
    > >
    > > 614-722-2505
    > >
    > > Nationwide Children's Research Institute
    > >
    > > [email protected]ldrens.org
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > _____
    > >
    > > ----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice: The
    > > following mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
    > > the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
    > > information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the confidentiality
    > > of this information and to use the information only for authorized
    > > purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive
    > > information for the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any
    > > review, use, disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken
    > > in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
    > > have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
    > > reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
    > >
    >
    instr1.gif
    instr2.gif
    Attachments:
    instr1.gif 14.5 KB
    instr2.gif 6.0 KB
  • ctreptectrepte Posts: 100
    Hi Gerben,
    Thanks for sharing this trick with us. This solution will keep the CRF uncluttered and easy to read for experienced users, but still offers additional information for the less experienced users if needed. Another one of you many helpful contributions. Thank you.
    Claudia
    Data Manager
    Sequana Medical
    Am 6/8/2012 8:13 PM, schrieb Gerben Rienk:
    > Hello Joshua,
    >
    > You might consider using the Tip function.
    > Put something in your RightItemText like:
    > [a href="javascript:void(0)" onmouseover="Tip('Here I can write immensely
    > long instructions!')" onmouseout="UnTip()"]Instructions[/a]
    >
    > (Replace all [] with sharp brackets, see screenshot.)
    >
    > Now you have an unworking link on your CRF but when the mouse hovers there
    > it shows your text.
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Gerben Rienk
    > http://www.trialdatasolutions.com
    >
    >
    >
    >> While building forms in the framework, I often come across an issue where
    >> I have a chunk of text that I need to add to my forms (instructions,
    >> explanations, etc.) and I have a hard time getting them into the forms.
    >> It usually boils down to brute-forcing the text into either the left or
    >> right item text fields with a bunch of HTML tags surrounding it. Is there
    >> any other way to get just text information into the form, or would it be
    >> possible to have an item of type label added to the system in future
    >> releases (no input field)?
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks.
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Joshua Drignat
    >>
    >> Research Informatics Core
    >>
    >> 614-722-2505
    >>
    >> Nationwide Children's Research Institute
    >>
    >> [email protected]
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> _____
    >>
    >> ----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice: The
    >> following mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of
    >> the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged
    >> information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the confidentiality
    >> of this information and to use the information only for authorized
    >> purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or authorized to receive
    >> information for the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any
    >> review, use, disclosure, distribution, copying, printing, or action taken
    >> in reliance on the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you
    >> have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by
    >> reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you.
    >>
    > >
    >
    >
    >
  • kristiakesourcekristiakesource Posts: 133
    Hi Gerben,
    Thanks for sharing this tip with us. It can be very useful instead of having
    a separate manual that no one reads.
    Best regards
    Krister
    -----Original Message-----
    On Behalf Of Gerben Rienk
    Sent: Friday, June 08, 2012 8:13 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Users] Label type
    Hello Joshua,
    You might consider using the Tip function.
    Put something in your RightItemText like:
    [a href="javascript:void(0)" onmouseover="Tip('Here I can write immensely
    long instructions!')" onmouseout="UnTip()"]Instructions[/a]
    (Replace all [] with sharp brackets, see screenshot.)
    Now you have an unworking link on your CRF but when the mouse hovers there
    it shows your text.
    Hope this helps,
    Gerben Rienk
    http://www.trialdatasolutions.com
    > > While building forms in the framework, I often come across an issue
    > > where I have a chunk of text that I need to add to my forms
    > > (instructions, explanations, etc.) and I have a hard time getting them
    into the forms.
    > > It usually boils down to brute-forcing the text into either the left
    > > or right item text fields with a bunch of HTML tags surrounding it.
    > > Is there any other way to get just text information into the form, or
    > > would it be possible to have an item of type label added to the system
    > > in future releases (no input field)?
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Joshua Drignat
    > >
    > > Research Informatics Core
    > >
    > > 614-722-2505
    > >
    > > Nationwide Children's Research Institute
    > >
    > > [email protected]
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > _____
    > >
    > > ----------------------------------------- Confidentiality Notice: The
    > > following mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use
    > > of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and
    > > privileged information. The recipient is responsible to maintain the
    > > confidentiality of this information and to use the information only
    > > for authorized purposes. If you are not the intended recipient (or
    > > authorized to receive information for the intended recipient), you are
    > > hereby notified that any review, use, disclosure, distribution,
    > > copying, printing, or action taken in reliance on the contents of this
    > > e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication
    > > in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all
    copies of the original message. Thank you.
    > >
    > >
This discussion has been closed.