We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Turn off autocompletion by default

When manually entering data into a text field in an OpenClinica form using Firefox, OpenClinica provides pop-up 'auto-complete' information (i.e. a list of previously entered Adverse Event Descriptions beginning with 'H').  This can be useful (i.e. choosing a previous value saves typing...).  However, one of our users has commented that it "distracts from the actual data entry and is even a form of bias" when entering data.  A particular example is when entering Lab Data values, where a previously entered value from an earlier subject may be selected, rather than the correct value for the current subject

Is there a way to turn off the 'auto-completion' feature within OpenClinica by default (using "autocomplete=off" in the Form HTML somewhere?), rather than having to rely on users changing their own browser settings to disable saving 'Search and Form history'?

Does anybody else have a similar problem, and how did you manage to resolve this?

Tagged:

Comments

• kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    Look for a solution using this link: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/control-firefox-automatically-fills-in-forms
    Regards

Krister
  • haenselhaensel Posts: 602 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    @billingi

There is no feature in OC that allows to disable the auto-completion for
    form fields. There are different options to achieve this.

1. You turn of your browser auto-completion (the easiest way) [1]. This
    solution will disable the autocomplete only for the necessary clients.

[1]
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/control-firefox-automatically-fills-in-forms

2. You an use JavaScript to manipulate the input elements in a way that
    they contain "autocomplete='off'" (is much more work since you have to
    change every crf). How to use JavaScript to manipulate the crfs has been
    discussed in the forum quite often already. This solution will disable
    the autocomplete for all clients.

3. You manipulate the OC source code to automatically deliver the input
    fields with "autocomplete='off'" (not much to change but you eventually
    have to validate your code modifications). This solution will disable
    the autocomplete for all clients.

Regards,
    Christian
  • billingibillingi Posts: 28
    Krister / Kristian,

Thank you for your prompt response!

Of the options provided, I think [2] (JavaScript) is the preferred option, as I don't want to have to rely on the users changing their browser settings, and I don't want to start changing OC Source Code.

I'll do some more searching on use of JavaScript within OC Forms

Regards,

Ian
    via Email
    Hi Christian,

Maybe solution number 3 is something we could suggest for the release of OC 3.3. I assume this would be a simpler way to solve this problem once and for ever!

Regards

Krister
  • billingibillingi Posts: 28
    In terms of a "feature request" for a future version of OC, then (ideally) it should be possible to set auto-complete on / off at CRF Level.  There are some forms where auto-complete probably shouldn't be used (i.e. Lab Data), but there are some forms where it would be useful (i.e. Concomitant Medication) to save typing!
    via Email
    Hi Krister

I created a poll for this [1]. I assume there are arguments pro and
    contra disabling autocompletion. I think autocompletion is useful to
    reduce the number of typos and on the other hand it may be an additional
    source of error for numbers (as described in this thread).

Regards,
    Christian

[1]
    https://www.openclinica.com/forums#/discussion/15087/autocompletion-on-or-off
    via Email
    Hi Christian,

As far as I remember from one of the audits that we have gone through the auditor asked a question about auto completion and was very pleased when we said that it is not function of OC. Will be interesting to see what the poll sais!

Regards

Krister
  • mikewormikewor Posts: 35
    I don't think its as simple as 'on or off'.   The function should allow OC to temporarily override any browser setting to off.   IMHO, OC should never turn autocomplete on - which I think will suit Krister's auditor
    Regards
    Mike
    edited May 2014
    Hi Mike

if it isn't disabled explicity, it is enabled by default. It might depend on the auditors point of view but if OC isn't disabling autocompletion it allows/enables it.

Regards,
    Christian

mikewor said:
    IMHO, OC should never turn autocomplete on - which I think will suit Krister's auditor

via Email
    I just checked our validation scripts. One of the tests actually tests that auto completion is OFF. If it would be on the test would fail!

Krister
This discussion has been closed.