We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Integrating Randi2 and OpenClinica

Dear all,

I've installed the Randi2-program successfully, using the code plus the instructions as found on https://github.com/dschrimpf/randi3
The application runs on a tomcat where also OpenClinica and OpenClinica-webservices run smoothly.
The only thing that does not work however, is the integration with OpenClinica, using the web-services. I can fill in the credentials for OpenClinica, select a Study, choose items to use for the randomisation, select from a great variety of randomisations and then .... nothing appears in my list of trials.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerben Rienk

Comments

• toskriptoskrip Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Hi,

have you tried to look into Tomcat log files. (Only quick check whether Randi is not throwing Exception somewhere).

Tomas
  • ccollinsccollins Posts: 379 admin
    Hi Gerben, 

We spent a good deal of time over the summer and fall at OpenClinica LLC setting up randi2 and trying to get it to work with OpenClinica. We had more or less the same experience as you, that the integration configuration usually did not appear to save. Once in a while, when you precisely followed the 'happy path', it might work - we did get patients to randomize a few times. However it was not stable (nor feature complete, as there was no way to edit/redo the setup if you made an error). 

We reached out to the developer on a few occasions, and while he was willing to help he did not seem to have much time to devote to it, so we had to drop it as an area of active pursuit. It's too bad because the system has lots of potential and would be of great value to OpenClinica users. Randomization is probably the #1 feature we get asked about. We have some options we're pursuing on the commercial side but it would be nice to have something that's open source. If you can identify ways to move this work forward we'd love to help. 

Best,
    Cal
  • toskriptoskrip Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    Some info about how OC integration was originally develop is here (in German):

In that time, there were no OC Restful URLs...
    Seems like there is a little bit work (programming) involved in making the full features OC integration stable.

Tomas

• ccollinsccollins Posts: 379 admin
    via Email
    I don't speak German but one other thing per Tomas' comments about Restful
    URLs... Daniel (randi2 main developer) built an OpenClinica web service to
    provide the results of a data extract. The randi2 - OpenClinica integration
    was dependent on this. Even with this incorporated, our experience was the
    integration still had problems similar to what Gerben describes.

I'll see if I can locate that web service code and share it.

Cal
  • PSpencerPSpencer Posts: 13
    I have found the web services code that Daniel modified for OpenClinica.  His WS is 3.1.4.X but also works with OC3.2.  This is not to be used with the enterprise edition. 

Phillip
  • GerbenRienkGerbenRienk Posts: 818 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks Spencer, Cal and Tomas. I will dust of my German and have a look at the slides, in combination with the web-services and report back the results.
  • haenselhaensel Posts: 602 ✭✭✭
    Most of the technical stuff is in English (screenshots). The remaining German text should be easy to translate. If not I'll support you.

Regards,
    Christian
  • Hi All,

Has there been any progress with RANDI in general and integration with OpenClinica?

I had a good look at it last year and spoke with Daniel a few times, however we lost contact and I assumed he was busy with other things. 

I am happy to help out with this...

Richard
  • bbaumannbbaumann Posts: 105 admin
    via Email
    Hi Richard,

Some of my colleagues and I had took a good look at it mid-year last year.
    While there are a lot of strong aspects to it, one of the critical issues
    was that it was not possible to edit a study after you have built it in
    RANDI2. You would essentially have to reset the db.

I believe the latest code is on GitHub. I also seem to recall seeing a
    manual floating around somewhere.

- Ben

On Fri, Feb 20, 2015 at 12:12 AM, richard.brookes <
This discussion has been closed.