We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Upgrading from OC 3.1.4 to 3.8

Hello,

We have several instances of OC 3.1.4 and would like to upgrade them to OC 3.8. I have looked at the upgrade instructions here: https://github.com/OpenClinica/OpenClinica/wiki/Upgrade-to-OpenClinica-3.x-on-Linux

In the test instance that I'm using, I have updated our tomcat and java, and OC as well, but I have not touched anything involving PostgreSQL. In the test instance, I'm running PostgreSQL 8.4 with the exact same database that we had for 3.1.4. Would anyone be able to tell me if there are any schema updates that I should apply? If so, would anyone have any further information on applying schema updates?

Thanks for any advice that anyone might have!
Joan Ray
Senior Support Analyst
The Research Institute at Nationwide Children's Hospital
Columbus, OH

Comments

• lindsay.stevenslindsay.stevens ✭✭✭ Posts: 404 ✭✭✭
    via Email
    When OC is deployed, the database schema is checked and any missing updates
    will be applied. This check happens every time.

The main config change is that the .properties files are now kept at
    tomcat/openclinica.config. The old files in web-inf/classes will still be
    there but are just templates.

On first run, the necessary folder and files will be created but you can
    put them in the correct place first. You need 2 files.

tomcat/openclinica.config/datainfo.properties
    tomcat/openclinica.config/extract.properties
  • joan_rayjoan_ray Posts: 21
    This is very helpful! Thank you so much!
  • BinaryVisionBinaryVision Posts: 42
    I will also be upgrading from 3.1.4 to 3.9.1 (unless 3.10 comes in the next few days) and likely migrating servers. I've reviewed some upgrade documentation but it doesn't specify the restore in regards to DB table/field/schema changes. Do we deploy the WAR, set the .data folder, and DB properties to a blank DB then startup. Stop and copy the .data folder from 3.1 instance and restore the old DB from 3.1 then on next Tomcat startup the DB will be re-modified to reflect any changes in 3.9? Please correct me. Thank you!
  • tkhajatkhaja ✭✭ Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Here is a high level overview of the upgrade process:
    • Stop tomcat
    • Backup the database, datainfo.properties under the webapps folder and any other folder if you have made changes like if you have custom images, etc
    • Replace the 3.1.4 war files with 3.9.1 under tomcat/webapps/
    • Start tomcat and make sure the war file has been deployed
    • Now stop tomcat and edit the datainfo.properties file under tomcat/openclinica.config/ and copy the values from the backed up file
    • Restart tomcat
    Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
    Thasbiha

• joan_rayjoan_ray Posts: 21
    via Email
    This is much appreciated. Thanks!
    Joan

——
  • BinaryVisionBinaryVision Posts: 42
    Thanks Thasbiha. We're also moving from Tomcat 6 to 7, so this would be different. It also doesn't mention the .data folder, but I think overall it answers my questions, when the application starts it should update any missing DB info even if the DB was restored from 3.1.4, and we can drop/merge the default .data folder contents.
  • hermanwhermanw Posts: 7
    We are attempting the same thing as BinaryVision in migrating from 3.1.4/Tomcat 6/Win2K3 over to new servers running 3.10/Tomcat 7/Win2012. Has anyone successfully done this?