We are currently working on the forum. For the short-term, all forum content will be in read-only format. We apologize for the interruption and look forward to collaborating with you shortly. All the best in your research!

Installation of Tomcat -Java Virtual Machine

Good morning,

I am having problems installing Tomcat followed by installation of Java Virtual Machine. However, the installation of Tomcat is failing and I am having the following error, it seems to fail in locating the Java Virtual Machine.

Could you please have a look and let me know what I could do to finish this part of the installation.

Many thanks
Aous

On 07/02/2008, Tom Hickerson wrote:
Hi Vikram,
One of the things that you need to remember is that the extract_data_table is not updated automatically; currently, you either need to set up an automated task to have it run every hour/day/week, or run it by hand periodically.
Details for this procedure are included in the install docs folder in the /src/main/config/install-docs directory, depending on your operating system, 'windows' for Windows, etc.
Best, Tom

Comments

  • Hi Aous,

    >From the screenshot, it looks like you are installing on Vista. While OpenClinica is not officially supported on Vista yet, I have seen it installed and running on that OS. The things to keep in mind are the following:

    1. Did you install the Java VM as administrator? You will probably have to install Tomcat the same way. The version that seemed to install the best from my point of view was Tomcat 6, but Tomcat 5.5 should not give you any problems once you make sure it can access the directory of the Java VM properly.

    2. When installing Postgres, you will have to turn off UAC - User Account Control. A more detailed account of how to install Postgres on Vista correctly is covered on this page: http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-February/014781.html

    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Best, Tom
  • Hi Tom,

    How can I check if I down loaded Java VM?

    Thank you
    Aous

    On 07/02/2008, Tom Hickerson wrote:
    Hi Aous,
    >From the screenshot, it looks like you are installing on Vista. While OpenClinica is not officially supported on Vista yet, I have seen it installed and running on that OS. The things to keep in mind are the following:
    1. Did you install the Java VM as administrator? You will probably have to install Tomcat the same way. The version that seemed to install the best from my point of view was Tomcat 6, but Tomcat 5.5 should not give you any problems once you make sure it can access the directory of the Java VM properly.
    2. When installing Postgres, you will have to turn off UAC - User Account Control. A more detailed account of how to install Postgres on Vista correctly is covered on this page: http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-February/014781.html
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Best, Tom
  • Hi Tom, I have been searching to find the reasons for the failing down load and realised that Java was not really downloaded on my computer.

    I tried to use the following link on the instructions but I am failing to gain access to the weblink.http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp.

    I tried to search the net to down load java on vista and I have found the following. Could you please have a look and just give some guidance on the exact file that I should down load to get access to Java
    virtual that will work on vista systems.http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Search/newsearch.php3?S_S=java+sun&Category=0

    Many thanks
    Aous

    On 10/02/2008, aous mahdi wrote:
    Hi Tom,

    How can I check if I down loaded Java VM?

    Thank you
    Aous

    On 07/02/2008, Tom Hickerson wrote:
    Hi Aous,
    >From the screenshot, it looks like you are installing on Vista. While OpenClinica is not officially supported on Vista yet, I have seen it installed and running on that OS. The things to keep in mind are the following:
    1. Did you install the Java VM as administrator? You will probably have to install Tomcat the same way. The version that seemed to install the best from my point of view was Tomcat 6, but Tomcat 5.5 should not give you any problems once you make sure it can access the directory of the Java VM properly.
    2. When installing Postgres, you will have to turn off UAC - User Account Control. A more detailed account of how to install Postgres on Vista correctly is covered on this page: http://postgis.refractions.net/pipermail/postgis-users/2007-February/014781.html
    Let us know if you have any other questions.
    Best, Tom
  • Hi Aous,

    On Vista, I actually went with Java 6; I downloaded the file entitled jdk-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe. This created the folders C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03 and C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03.

    Regarding your link, it looks like there's a lot of noise and not a lot of signal, so I suggest you give JDK 6 a try at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281, or try to get Java 5 again at the link you sent originally, http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp.

    What was the specific problem you had with that link, by the way?

    Regards, Tom
  • Hi Tom,

    The links in your email are working for me now, but I am unable to locate the file jdk-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe. Was there a special place for it in the website.

    I managed to get in the download page, there is so many options for Vista it is just overwelming.


    On 10/02/2008, Tom Hickerson wrote:
    Hi Aous,
    On Vista, I actually went with Java 6; I downloaded the file entitled jdk-6u3-windows-i586-p.exe. This created the folders C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_03 and C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03.
    Regarding your link, it looks like there's a lot of noise and not a lot of signal, so I suggest you give JDK 6 a try at http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281, or try to get Java 5 again at the link you sent originally, http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index_jdk5.jsp.
    What was the specific problem you had with that link, by the way?
    Regards, Tom
  • Hi Aous,

    Just try the first 'Download' button from the site

    http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/?intcmp=1281

    Note that it will probably be named jdk-6u4 now, since it is JDK 6 update 4.

    Best, Tom
This discussion has been closed.