We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

[Users] What's new in development - What would you like to see in Print CRF?

Hello Krister,
The Web Services aspect that handles PrintCRF is included in the web application so there is no need to include WS for printing.
The printer icons are somewhat small but they are found where you would mostly expect to see them near the "looking glass" view icon.
Thanks,
Nick Sophinos
Developer, OpenClinica
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Krister Kristianson beta-JUDO, Uppsala University wrote:
Hi Alicia,

I have downloaded the SNAPSHOT and loaded some 200 patients into it. I have so far failed to locate the new print functions. Should I load WS as well?
Regards

Krister
Sent: Friday, April 26, 2013 10:58 PM
To: [email protected]; [email protected]
Subject: [Users] What's new in development - What would you like to see in Print CRF?

Dear OpenClinica Community,

Our development team is doing some exciting work and we would love to share it
with you and get your feedback.

We’re putting out a developer release so that you can download and test out some of the new functionality. The primary focus of the next release will be around the next generation of Printed CRFs, and this developer release will give you a good preview. For the techies out there, you can dig into some more of the details here: http://blog.openclinica.com/2013/04/26/new-openclinica-developer-release-revamped-print-module/

There has been a lot of discussion lately on the forums about what is being worked on so I’d like give everyone an overview:

What’s New:
Next generation of Print CRF!
RESTful architecture for access to metadata and Print CRFs
LDAP integration - OpenClinica has been configured to work with LDAP

Changes and Fixes:
Updates to Enterprise Data Mart* to address column and table naming conventions; control of width with truncation and new mapping table.
Updates to the javascript libraries so that OpenClinica can run on more browsers and versions of browsers (primary fix for Firefox update 20+)
Fixed discrepancy notes rendering. Addressed a niche issue where duplicates may be displayed on CRFs which were hidden from a site. For more information please see the Jira ticket: http://50.57.189.131:8081/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&view=detail&selectedIssue=MR-330
Updates and enhancements to Metadata ODM 1.3 Full with OpenClinica extensions. The metadata is now more robust; work was done to support the new model for Print CRF.

In addition to the work directly related to the product, we’re also making some great operational changes. We’re moving to a new issue tracking/project management tool, Jira. We’re using this internally until we’ve completed the work to make it publicly accessible with your www.openclinica.com username and password – once this is done you’ll have the same type of access that you did to the OpenClinica Issue Tracker but hopefully you’ll find the tool a lot nicer to work with and have better visibility into what we are currently working on. We’re also making progress on continuous integration and automated regression testing.
Again, we would love to get your feedback. We really appreciate all of the contributions made from the community and early feedback is a great way you can help shape the product and future of OpenClinica!

To download the Development release go here: https://community.openclinica.com/project/openclinica#dev

Best Regards,
Alicia & The Development Team
OpenClinica, Product Owner

Comments

• kristiakkristiak Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Hello Nick,

Thanks. I had actually found it but nothing happens when I hit “Print” only a blank page shows up for the majority of my CRF’s. The AE page printed, though, but it showed up in 12 copies (attached). A very short CRF printed as expected (only one copy, attached).

One other question: We are currently looking into a method to increase the security for log on to OC. The European agency are increasing the security requirements as soon as you include any personal identifiable data and we are looking into various possibilities. My question: Is data current login module something that you have develop yourself at OC or is it a commercial piece of software?

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Saturday, April 27, 2013 11:42 PM
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Re: [Developers] [Users] What's new in development - What would you like to see in Print CRF?

Hello Krister,

The Web Services aspect that handles PrintCRF is included in the web application so there is no need to include WS for printing.
    The printer icons are somewhat small but they are found where you would mostly expect to see them near the "looking glass" view icon.

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM, Krister Kristianson beta-JUDO, Uppsala University wrote:
    Hi Alicia,

I have downloaded the SNAPSHOT and loaded some 200 patients into it. I have so far failed to locate the new print functions. Should I load WS as well?
    Regards

Krister
    Subject: [Users] What's new in development - What would you like to see in Print CRF?

We’re putting out a developer release so that you can download and test out some of the new functionality. The primary focus of the next release will be around the next generation of Printed CRFs, and this developer release will give you a good preview. For the techies out there, you can dig into some more of the details here: http://blog.openclinica.com/2013/04/26/new-openclinica-developer-release-revamped-print-module/

There has been a lot of discussion lately on the forums about what is being worked on so I’d like give everyone an overview:

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:
    Updates to Enterprise Data Mart* to address column and table naming conventions; control of width with truncation and new mapping table.
    Updates to the javascript libraries so that OpenClinica can run on more browsers and versions of browsers (primary fix for Firefox update 20+)
    Fixed discrepancy notes rendering. Addressed a niche issue where duplicates may be displayed on CRFs which were hidden from a site. For more information please see the Jira ticket: http://50.57.189.131:8081/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&view=detail&selectedIssue=MR-330
    Updates and enhancements to Metadata ODM 1.3 Full with OpenClinica extensions. The metadata is now more robust; work was done to support the new model for Print CRF.

In addition to the work directly related to the product, we’re also making some great operational changes. We’re moving to a new issue tracking/project management tool, Jira. We’re using this internally until we’ve completed the work to make it publicly accessible with your www.openclinica.com username and password – once this is done you’ll have the same type of access that you did to the OpenClinica Issue Tracker but hopefully you’ll find the tool a lot nicer to work with and have better visibility into what we are currently working on. We’re also making progress on continuous integration and automated regression testing.
    Again, we would love to get your feedback. We really appreciate all of the contributions made from the community and early feedback is a great way you can help shape the product and future of OpenClinica!

To download the Development release go here: https://community.openclinica.com/project/openclinica#dev

Best Regards,
  • Thanks Krister for sending those examples – saves me installing just to check it out!

My feedback is that it would be nice if there were options to include metadata on the blank print CRF:

* OIDs – I know you can see some of them in the REST url but it would be handy to have on the CRF anyway, particularly if the url uses a wildcard. All levels: study, event, form, itemgroup, item.
    * Values for coded items next to the label, e.g. display as “1 – yes”, “0 – no” or similar
    * Item data type
    * The default display status of an item or itemgroup
    * Required item status

I think these are the main ones that would make communicating the setup of the CRFs easier – both to trainee users (particularly the display status causes confusion), and data end users who aren’t necessarily interested in learning how to access the same information through OpenClinica. To illustrate the latter case I’ve attached an example of a CRF I prepared for a study statistician, using a python script (included, as well as an outline how-to, html version and pdf). You can imagine how fun it is to prepare that when your study has 20-30+ sections.

Lastly could you guys clarify what the use case / user story is for LDAP integration? Is it for something like the (astounding) article from RWTH Aachen on eye image processing that Gerben circulated?

Best regards,

Lindsay Stevens | Clinical Data Coordinator
    NHMRC Clinical Trials Centre, THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
    Office: Level 2, 6-10 Mallett St | Camperdown | NSW | 2050
    Mail: Locked Bag 77 | Camperdown | NSW | 1450
    T +61 2 9562 5369 | F +61 2 9562 5094
    E [email protected] | W www.ctc.usyd.edu.au
    Sent: Monday, 29 April 2013 1:17 AM
    Subject: Re: [Developers] [Users] What's new in development - What would you like to see in Print CRF?

Hello Nick,

Thanks. I had actually found it but nothing happens when I hit “Print” only a blank page shows up for the majority of my CRF’s. The AE page printed, though, but it showed up in 12 copies (attached). A very short CRF printed as expected (only one copy, attached).

One other question: We are currently looking into a method to increase the security for log on to OC. The European agency are increasing the security requirements as soon as you include any personal identifiable data and we are looking into various possibilities. My question: Is data current login module something that you have develop yourself at OC or is it a commercial piece of software?

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
    Hi Lindsay,

Very good ideas. Hope that this can be implemented as an option once this is ready for release!

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 3:47 AM
    To: '[email protected]'

Thanks Krister for sending those examples – saves me installing just to check it out!

My feedback is that it would be nice if there were options to include metadata on the blank print CRF:

* OIDs – I know you can see some of them in the REST url but it would be handy to have on the CRF anyway, particularly if the url uses a wildcard. All levels: study, event, form, itemgroup, item.
    * Values for coded items next to the label, e.g. display as “1 – yes”, “0 – no” or similar
    * Item data type
    * The default display status of an item or itemgroup
    * Required item status

I think these are the main ones that would make communicating the setup of the CRFs easier – both to trainee users (particularly the display status causes confusion), and data end users who aren’t necessarily interested in learning how to access the same information through OpenClinica. To illustrate the latter case I’ve attached an example of a CRF I prepared for a study statistician, using a python script (included, as well as an outline how-to, html version and pdf). You can imagine how fun it is to prepare that when your study has 20-30+ sections.

Lastly could you guys clarify what the use case / user story is for LDAP integration? Is it for something like the (astounding) article from RWTH Aachen on eye image processing that Gerben circulated?

Best regards,

Sent: Monday, 29 April 2013 1:17 AM

Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
  • agoodwinagoodwin Posts: 131 admin
    Hello Krister et al,
    I should add some more information/clarification on what is working or not in the developer release and what our plans are.
    From a technical perspective, we're completely redoing Print CRF and doing it in an entirely different way. We are now using ODM to generate the printed views. What does this mean? We've had to do a lot of work on the ODM and not everything is working just yet. If we look at this in 3 parts, there are: "Global CRFs" (Administer & Manage CRFs which may not be study-specific), Event Definition CRFs (at the study level) and Site Event Definition CRFs (which may have site-specific parameters).
    Global CRFs are not working yet as we're having to do work on ODM to be able to access this information. Currently ODM only gives you study ODM which means if the CRF is not part of the current study, then it won't be in the ODM. We'll be doing some work so that all of the information will be accessible with the right permissions, whether it is part of the study or not.
    Event Definition CRFs are working as we're working with the study ODM. We've also had to add some details to the ODM to be able to reliably use this with all of the study detils/configurations, etc.
    Site Event Defintion CRFs are not working yet as we discovered that many of the OpenClinica attributes were not being generated at the site level. We are working on the site-level ODM and schema updates now and this work is nearly done.
    Regarding multiple pages that have printed, what we were thinking for grids is that we would print the "GROUP_REPEAT_MAX" rows. The rational was that if someone were to use the printed CRF for data collection that they would have the max value of rows as defined in the CRF. Because this could span more than one page, we're repeating the column headers (LEFT_ITEM_TEXT) for each new page the grid is displayed on. Do you think this is the right approach?
    For this release, we will first plan to release unpopulated Print CRFs (all of the views that are not subject specific). After that we will be working on populated (subject and subject case books with PDF capability).
    Lindsay - Thank you for the feedback. This seems to be for 'annotated CRFs'. Are you primarily using these to send to your statisticians? I don't think this will be in the scope of this release, but may be worth considering for future. How important are these to your (and others) studies?
    Best Regards,
    Alicia
    On Sun, Apr 28, 2013 at 11:16 AM, Krister Kristianson wrote:
    Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
  • Hi Alicia

The requests I listed were for annotated CRFs, and the primary users of them are statisticians. At the moment we need to provide a set of annotated CRFs for every study that is built. While it would be nice if I could teach all the statisticians how to use OpenClinica, the reality is they receive data for projects from a range of systems, and an annotated CRF is a good quick-reference.

Regarding the group_repeat_max question – that makes sense, but I thought the blank CRFs were more for documentation purposes, which is why I suggested the annotated CRF things. We only maintain paper back-ups for extremely time-critical CRFs like enrolment and expedited safety reporting, which is a small part of the study data. The other main usage for paper I can think of is patient reported outcomes / quality of life, but most instruments already have a validated paper version, and hopefully the ‘patient portal’ that seems to be in the works for OpenClinica will further the amount of data captured electronically.

Best regards,

Sent: Tuesday, 30 April 2013 4:42 AM

Hello Krister et al,
    I should add some more information/clarification on what is working or not in the developer release and what our plans are.
    From a technical perspective, we're completely redoing Print CRF and doing it in an entirely different way. We are now using ODM to generate the printed views. What does this mean? We've had to do a lot of work on the ODM and not everything is working just yet. If we look at this in 3 parts, there are: "Global CRFs" (Administer & Manage CRFs which may not be study-specific), Event Definition CRFs (at the study level) and Site Event Definition CRFs (which may have site-specific parameters).
    Global CRFs are not working yet as we're having to do work on ODM to be able to access this information. Currently ODM only gives you study ODM which means if the CRF is not part of the current study, then it won't be in the ODM. We'll be doing some work so that all of the information will be accessible with the right permissions, whether it is part of the study or not.
    Event Definition CRFs are working as we're working with the study ODM. We've also had to add some details to the ODM to be able to reliably use this with all of the study detils/configurations, etc.
    Site Event Defintion CRFs are not working yet as we discovered that many of the OpenClinica attributes were not being generated at the site level. We are working on the site-level ODM and schema updates now and this work is nearly done.
    Regarding multiple pages that have printed, what we were thinking for grids is that we would print the "GROUP_REPEAT_MAX" rows. The rational was that if someone were to use the printed CRF for data collection that they would have the max value of rows as defined in the CRF. Because this could span more than one page, we're repeating the column headers (LEFT_ITEM_TEXT) for each new page the grid is displayed on. Do you think this is the right approach?

For this release, we will first plan to release unpopulated Print CRFs (all of the views that are not subject specific). After that we will be working on populated (subject and subject case books with PDF capability).
    Lindsay - Thank you for the feedback. This seems to be for 'annotated CRFs'. Are you primarily using these to send to your statisticians? I don't think this will be in the scope of this release, but may be worth considering for future. How important are these to your (and others) studies?
    Best Regards,
    Alicia

Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
    Thanks Alicia this answers my questions for now.
    How important is this? Well it all depends. We seem to be giving up paper more and more in favour of IPADS and similar devices as input devices for patients and investigators. Gerben Rienk (Trial Data Solutions) has developed a nice utility in MS ACCESS where you can print out CRF data I a tabular format directly from the ODM export file. In most cases that is sufficient, With the increased sophistication of WEB services we see the possibilities to provide investigators with IPADS or similar and let them transmit to the OC database whenever they are in reach of a WiFi net, or even using the phone network as we are doing in a current project with Smart Phones sending patient diary data to OC. It works flawlessly.

Best regards

Krister
    Sent: Monday, April 29, 2013 8:42 PM

Hello Krister et al,

Best Regards,
    Alicia

Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
  • ccollinsccollins Posts: 383 admin
    Hi,
    You can also use CDISC's define.xml stylesheet and apply it to an OpenClinica extract in CDISC 1.2 format to generate a metadata listing pretty easily. I've attached an example and some instructions, and put them on the tools page (https://wiki.openclinica.com/doku.php?id=publicwiki:otherprojects, look under 'Metadata Listings'). Does this meet some or all of your requirements? If it's close, it should be easily tweakable and could potentially be added as a new extract format in OpenClinica.
    Best,
    Cal
    Here's a partial screenshot:
    Inline image 1
    On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Liz Robertson wrote:
    Alicia wrote:
    Regarding annotated CRFs, they go to the programmers, but they're also a required part of our Trial Master Files. Having to do them by hand isn't the end of the world since it's only once per study, but it would certainly be a lovely thing to be able to just have. My suggestion that printing down the metadata for each page and attaching it to the printed blank CRF page caused my regulatory people to actually scoff at me out loud, sadly.
    Kind regards,
    Liz
    Liz Robertson
    Director of Data Management and IT
    TRACON Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
    [email protected]
    office: 858.550.0780 ext. 237
    cell: 760.481.5527
  • LizRLizR Posts: 60
    Hi Cal,
    In our case, sadly, no. They want the item names right by the stuff on the CRF as it appears as if you were looking at the CRF as an old school paper CRF. When they kindly join this century, the metadata output as you have it here seems like it ought to do the trick.
    Obviously, I don't agree, but I don't really get to win a lot of the regulatory battles. When I'm queen of the universe, annotated CRFs will look like the metadata output and we will send (validated, I'm not /that/ capricious) listings of data to sites at the end of the study, instead of having hyperlinked casebooks that pretend to do in paper what the database does electronically.
    Regards,
    Liz
    Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 01, 2013 3:01 PM
    Hi,
    You can also use CDISC's define.xml stylesheet and apply it to an OpenClinica extract in CDISC 1.2 format to generate a metadata listing pretty easily. I've attached an example and some instructions, and put them on the tools page (https://wiki.openclinica.com/doku.php?id=publicwiki:otherprojects, look under 'Metadata Listings'). Does this meet some or all of your requirements? If it's close, it should be easily tweakable and could potentially be added as a new extract format in OpenClinica.
    Best,
    Cal
    Here's a partial screenshot:
    Inline image 1
    On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Liz Robertson wrote:
    Alicia wrote:
    Regarding annotated CRFs, they go to the programmers, but they're also a required part of our Trial Master Files. Having to do them by hand isn't the end of the world since it's only once per study, but it would certainly be a lovely thing to be able to just have. My suggestion that printing down the metadata for each page and attaching it to the printed blank CRF page caused my regulatory people to actually scoff at me out loud, sadly.
    Kind regards,
    Liz
    Liz Robertson
    [email protected]
  • abertuzziabertuzzi Posts: 51
    Alicia,
    after the very interesting comments concerning the printing of unpopulated CRFs that have been provided by Liz and Lindsey, please let me contribute the following suggestions for the printing feature for populated CRFs aimed at improving usability for functional and compliance needs of data collected in OpenClinica.
    (I apologize for possible inclusion of requirements already defined elsewhere).
    It should be possible to request the printout
    - of a defined CRF (part of a Subject's Event);
    - of the full set of CRFs part of a defined Subject's Event;
    - of the full set of Events and related CRFs of a defined Subject;
    and possibly
    - for a Subject's repeating Event: the full set of CRFs part of all the occurrences of the defined Event type;
    - for a CRF used in different Events: all the occurrences of the CRF for the Subject, whatever Event they are part of.
    It should be possible to decide whether or not to print
    - Event/CRF data,
    - Discrepancy Notes (All or a selection of types Annotation / Failed Validation Check / Query / Reason For Change),
    - Audit Log,
    with options to print Audit Log and Discrepancy Notes
    - after the CRF they refer to, or
    - as separate sections at the end of the full set of Event/CRF data.
    The printed information for Subjects, Event and CRFs should include where applicable
    - together with name and relevant dates / specific information;
    - the status of the record;
    - if signed: the signer’s full name, date of signature and meaning of signing;
    - last updated by information.
    The printout layout should
    - adopt the ordering of Events and CRFs defined in the eCRF structure (a possible alternative option for Events might be to order by Event Start Date);
    - reflect as much as possible the CRF layout of Items shown on screen for data collection;
    - be formatted with fonts, tabbing and line spacing standards that optimize the use of page space so to reduce the number of output pages;
    - include on each page the Subject identification, the page sequence number and date/time of creation of the printout;
    - for CRF data values:
    + provide the complete presentation of data values also for long String value texts,
    + for values entered through Single/Multi-select, Radio, Checkbox response types include only the chosen value(s) and not the full list of possible options.
    - for the printout of the full set of Events and related CRFs of a defined Subject: possibly include a Summary list of the Events part of the Subject's eCRF (similar to the View Subject:xxxx page) between the initial Subject identification section and the detail Event CRF data section.
    I hope it can help.
    Best regards,
    Armando
    Hello Krister et al,
    Best Regards,
    Alicia
    Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
  • nsophinosnsophinos Posts: 62
    Hi Armando,
    Your suggestions for the printing feature for populated CRFs seem to exactly match what we are currently working on and will be releasing this year. It's nice to have the validation that we are on target.
    Nick Sophinos
    Developer
    Open Clinica
    On Wed, May 8, 2013 at 3:18 AM, Bertuzzi, Armando [Nervianoms] wrote:
    Alicia,
    after the very interesting comments concerning the printing of unpopulated CRFs that have been provided by Liz and Lindsey, please let me contribute the following suggestions for the printing feature for populated CRFs aimed at improving usability for functional and compliance needs of data collected in OpenClinica.
    (I apologize for possible inclusion of requirements already defined elsewhere).
    It should be possible to request the printout
    - of a defined CRF (part of a Subject's Event);
    - of the full set of CRFs part of a defined Subject's Event;
    - of the full set of Events and related CRFs of a defined Subject;
    and possibly
    - for a Subject's repeating Event: the full set of CRFs part of all the occurrences of the defined Event type;
    - for a CRF used in different Events: all the occurrences of the CRF for the Subject, whatever Event they are part of.
    It should be possible to decide whether or not to print
    - Event/CRF data,
    - Discrepancy Notes (All or a selection of types Annotation / Failed Validation Check / Query / Reason For Change),
    - Audit Log,
    with options to print Audit Log and Discrepancy Notes
    - after the CRF they refer to, or
    - as separate sections at the end of the full set of Event/CRF data.
    The printed information for Subjects, Event and CRFs should include where applicable
    - together with name and relevant dates / specific information;
    - the status of the record;
    - if signed: the signer’s full name, date of signature and meaning of signing;
    - last updated by information.
    The printout layout should
    - adopt the ordering of Events and CRFs defined in the eCRF structure (a possible alternative option for Events might be to order by Event Start Date);
    - reflect as much as possible the CRF layout of Items shown on screen for data collection;
    - be formatted with fonts, tabbing and line spacing standards that optimize the use of page space so to reduce the number of output pages;
    - include on each page the Subject identification, the page sequence number and date/time of creation of the printout;
    - for CRF data values:
    + provide the complete presentation of data values also for long String value texts,
    + for values entered through Single/Multi-select, Radio, Checkbox response types include only the chosen value(s) and not the full list of possible options.
    - for the printout of the full set of Events and related CRFs of a defined Subject: possibly include a Summary list of the Events part of the Subject's eCRF (similar to the View Subject:xxxx page) between the initial Subject identification section and the detail Event CRF data section.
    I hope it can help.
    Best regards,
    Armando
    Hello Krister et al,
    Best Regards,
    Alicia
    Hello Nick,

Best regards

Krister

Hello Krister,

Thanks,

Nick Sophinos
    Developer, OpenClinica

Hi Alicia,

Regards

Krister

What’s New:

Changes and Fixes:

Best Regards,
This discussion has been closed.