We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

OpenClinica 3.1.4 Installer

vic-avic-a Posts: 20
edited March 2014 in Installation & Setup
Hello all, As promised, here is a full installer for OpenClinica 3.1.4 (beta,since more testing needed) for Windows. Goal was to automate all the steps listed athttps://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/installation/installing-openclinica-windows#content-title-3761 and I am able to do that. There are few kinks and some things will change as I get more feedback from Openclinica team and the user community. Few things to know about current installer release: OpenClinica is installed under 'C:/OpenClinica'. Installer creates a service 'OpenClinica' instead of 'Apache tomcat 6' but internally service still links to tomcat binary. A programs menu,desktop shortcuts are created to start/stop/open OpenClinica. Ideally user should get an ability to control this so will consider this in next push. Has been tested with windows7, windows 8, windows server 2008 and 2012. On each of the mentioned platforms, I was able to log on to openclinica using standard username/password. Has been compiled with Apache Tomcat release 6.0.32, JRE 6 update 24, postgres 8.4.7.2 and Openclinica-3.1.4.1. I really wanted to keep mentioned packages out of installer to 1) keep the package smaller 2)User could get more control over version of each of the above but it would require way too much that effort that I could not afford to spend on right now. Post-install steps from 9.2.8 - 9.2.13 are automated and the installation is configured automatically. 9.2.8 : Installer prompts for dbame, username, password and superuser password. 9.2.9 - 9.2.10 : All tomcat properties gets added as mentioned in install document except CPU cores are calculated and filled automatically (9.2.10) . RAM should be configurable as well but not available to be changed in this release. Right now it RAM gets sets to default as suggested in the install document. 9.2.11 - 9.2.12 : datainfo.properties (for both OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws) is modified with the value specified by user during install. User has an option to configure admin email for web services. **Delay** : There is an intentional delay (5 mins.) added to make sure Tomcat, OpenClinica are completely installed before any of the post-install steps are started. Tomcat does not issues any trigger of complete installation and parsing the log files or scanning services registry option did not help. Will try to fix this in subsequent releases. If OpenClinica is uninstalled, installer does not remove the data directory and your dats is still preserved. If you do a re-install on the same machine and DB name is kept same, OpenClinica will use the old DB and not create a new one. Remove the old folder manually from under 'postgres8./data' Here is the URL once again : https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vig.share/OC/OpenClinica_3.1.4_201310071711.exe That's all for now. Questions/comments/feedback, please get in touch. Once we finalize, happy to create a document to go with the installer. Thanks Vic
Post edited by bbaumann on
Tagged:

Comments

• ccollinsccollins admin Posts: 379 admin
    Hi Vic,
    I tried this on my Windows 7 machine, on which OpenClinica was already installed under c:\oc and already had postgres and tomcat. So, I didn't really expect it to work :-) The installer did manage to complete and the wizard was nicely put together - simple and seemed to put things in the targeted spots. OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws got unpacked into the right place, C:\OpenClinica\tomcat\webapps\OpenClinica, and the datainfo.properties was populated with the settings I entered in the install wizard.
    OpenClinica wouldn't load, however. I suspect this was due to another Tomcat already being installed. I tried to have them run on different ports but that didn't do it and haven't spent any more time with it.
    That's my feedback so far. Not sure how helpful that is, since I knew from the start it wasn't a clean environment and would likely not work. Next step is to try it on a fresh copy of Windows and report back the results.
    Best,
    Cal
    On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM, Vic A. wrote:
    Hello all,
    As promised, here is a full installer for OpenClinica 3.1.4 (beta,since more testing needed) for Windows. Goal was to automate all the steps listed athttps://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/installation/installing-openclinica-windows#content-title-3761 and I am able to do that. There are few kinks and some things will change as I get more feedback from Openclinica team and the user community.
    Few things to know about current installer release:
    OpenClinica is installed under 'C:/OpenClinica'.
    Installer creates a service 'OpenClinica' instead of 'Apache tomcat 6' but internally service still links to tomcat binary.
    A programs menu,desktop shortcuts are created to start/stop/open OpenClinica. Ideally user should get an ability to control this so will consider this in next push.
    Has been tested with windows7, windows 8, windows server 2008 and 2012. On each of the mentioned platforms, I was able to log on to openclinica using standard username/password.
    Has been compiled with Apache Tomcat release 6.0.32, JRE 6 update 24, postgres 8.4.7.2 and Openclinica-3.1.4.1. I really wanted to keep mentioned packages out of installer to 1) keep the package smaller 2)User could get more control over version of each of the above but it would require way too much that effort that I could not afford to spend on right now.
    Post-install steps from 9.2.8 - 9.2.13 are automated and the installation is configured automatically.
    9.2.8 : Installer prompts for dbame, username, password and superuser password.
    9.2.9 - 9.2.10 : All tomcat properties gets added as mentioned in install document except CPU cores are calculated and filled automatically (9.2.10) . RAM should be configurable as well but not available to be changed in this release. Right now it RAM gets sets to default as suggested in the install document.
    9.2.11 - 9.2.12 : datainfo.properties (for both OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws) is modified with the value specified by user during install. User has an option to configure admin email for web services.
    **Delay** : There is an intentional delay (5 mins.) added to make sure Tomcat, OpenClinica are completely installed before any of the post-install steps are started. Tomcat does not issues any trigger of complete installation and parsing the log files or scanning services registry option did not help. Will try to fix this in subsequent releases.
    If OpenClinica is uninstalled, installer does not remove the data directory and your dats is still preserved. If you do a re-install on the same machine and DB name is kept same, OpenClinica will use the old DB and not create a new one. Remove the old folder manually from under 'postgres8./data'
    Here is the URL once again : https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vig.share/OC/OpenClinica_3.1.4_201310071711.exe
    That's all for now. Questions/comments/feedback, please get in touch. Once we finalize, happy to create a document to go with the installer.
    Thanks
    Vic
  • mgaintymgainty Posts: 18
    i too have both installed and have Multiple TCs running (on different ports) on same box..
    at this point the best anyone can do to help the op

is for op to post both TC server.xml... redacting all Company Propietary elements of course
    Martin
  • vic-avic-a Posts: 20
    Cal,
    "OpenClinica wouldn't load"
    Do you mean you can't even get to the http://host:port ? I just tried on one of local installs here and was able to see the 2nd instance as well. Only issue which I reported earlier was that if postgres database with same name is already installer, installer does not create a new one. I had to use password from my earlier OC install to log on.
    Let me know how the new machine install goes. I need to spend more time on this to stabilize it but so far have had +ve feedback from quite a few.
    BTW, linux installer is on the way. Should be out in next few days. Testing mostly with Ubuntu for now.
    Thanks
    Vic
    On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:45 AM, Cal Collins wrote:
    Hi Vic,
    I tried this on my Windows 7 machine, on which OpenClinica was already installed under c:\oc and already had postgres and tomcat. So, I didn't really expect it to work :-) The installer did manage to complete and the wizard was nicely put together - simple and seemed to put things in the targeted spots. OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws got unpacked into the right place, C:\OpenClinica\tomcat\webapps\OpenClinica, and the datainfo.properties was populated with the settings I entered in the install wizard.
    OpenClinica wouldn't load, however. I suspect this was due to another Tomcat already being installed. I tried to have them run on different ports but that didn't do it and haven't spent any more time with it.
    That's my feedback so far. Not sure how helpful that is, since I knew from the start it wasn't a clean environment and would likely not work. Next step is to try it on a fresh copy of Windows and report back the results.
    Best,
    Cal
    Hello all,
    As promised, here is a full installer for OpenClinica 3.1.4 (beta,since more testing needed) for Windows. Goal was to automate all the steps listed athttps://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/installation/installing-openclinica-windows#content-title-3761 and I am able to do that. There are few kinks and some things will change as I get more feedback from Openclinica team and the user community.
    Installer creates a service 'OpenClinica' instead of 'Apache tomcat 6' but internally service still links to tomcat binary.
    A programs menu,desktop shortcuts are created to start/stop/open OpenClinica. Ideally user should get an ability to control this so will consider this in next push.
    Has been tested with windows7, windows 8, windows server 2008 and 2012. On each of the mentioned platforms, I was able to log on to openclinica using standard username/password.
    Has been compiled with Apache Tomcat release 6.0.32, JRE 6 update 24, postgres 8.4.7.2 and Openclinica-3.1.4.1. I really wanted to keep mentioned packages out of installer to 1) keep the package smaller 2)User could get more control over version of each of the above but it would require way too much that effort that I could not afford to spend on right now.
    Post-install steps from 9.2.8 - 9.2.13 are automated and the installation is configured automatically.
    9.2.9 - 9.2.10 : All tomcat properties gets added as mentioned in install document except CPU cores are calculated and filled automatically (9.2.10) . RAM should be configurable as well but not available to be changed in this release. Right now it RAM gets sets to default as suggested in the install document.
    9.2.11 - 9.2.12 : datainfo.properties (for both OpenClinica and OpenClinica-ws) is modified with the value specified by user during install. User has an option to configure admin email for web services.
    **Delay** : There is an intentional delay (5 mins.) added to make sure Tomcat, OpenClinica are completely installed before any of the post-install steps are started. Tomcat does not issues any trigger of complete installation and parsing the log files or scanning services registry option did not help. Will try to fix this in subsequent releases.
    If OpenClinica is uninstalled, installer does not remove the data directory and your dats is still preserved. If you do a re-install on the same machine and DB name is kept same, OpenClinica will use the old DB and not create a new one. Remove the old folder manually from under 'postgres8./data'
    Here is the URL once again : https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/vig.share/OC/OpenClinica_3.1.4_201310071711.exe
    That's all for now. Questions/comments/feedback, please get in touch. Once we finalize, happy to create a document to go with the installer.
    Thanks
    Vic
  • ccollinsccollins admin Posts: 379 admin
    Hi Vic,
    I was getting a 404 for http://localhost:8080/OpenClinica. The app was deployed, but I didn't check the logs before trying to tinker with it. I will try from a clean machine soon and let you know. Can't wait to see the linux installer!
    Best,
    Cal
    On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Vic A. wrote:
    Cal,
    Do you mean you can't even get to the http://host:port ? I just tried on one of local installs here and was able to see the 2nd instance as well. Only issue which I reported earlier was that if postgres database with same name is already installer, installer does not create a new one. I had to use password from my earlier OC install to log on.
    Let me know how the new machine install goes. I need to spend more time on this to stabilize it but so far have had +ve feedback from quite a few.
    BTW, linux installer is on the way. Should be out in next few days. Testing mostly with Ubuntu for now.
    Thanks
    Vic
    Hi Vic,
    Best,
    Cal
    Hello all,
    Thanks
    Vic
  • vic-avic-a Posts: 20
    Cal,
    Hope you were able to install it a clean windows machine?
    I was offline for a while now but back now. Should be pushing out Linux installer over next couple weeks.
    thanks
    Vic
    On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Cal Collins wrote:
    Hi Vic,
    I was getting a 404 for http://localhost:8080/OpenClinica. The app was deployed, but I didn't check the logs before trying to tinker with it. I will try from a clean machine soon and let you know. Can't wait to see the linux installer!
    Best,
    Cal
    On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Vic A. wrote:
    Cal,
    Thanks
    Vic
    Hi Vic,
    Best,
    Cal
    Hello all,
    Thanks
    Vic
This discussion has been closed.