We hope you'll join us for our 4/23 webinar on using data tables to apply reference ranges and AE codes in OC4. For more information and to register, visit https://register.gotowebinar.com/register/2882170018956684555

Issues with OpenClinica 3.1.4.1 for Windows

cra360cra360 Posts: 56
Hi,
It seems that your open source clinical trial software depends on three core components, namely, an open source web server (Tomcat here), an open source database management system (postgreSQL or Oracle) and your own ware. I downloaded your 3.1.4.1 version for Windows yesterday and downloaded and installed Tomcat
however, Tomcat misbehaved, the configure option won't work (access denied) tho the server can be started. Hence, I switch to another web server (Resin) and copied over the web directories and files... In the meantime, I've also downloaded and installed Oracle 10g Express, and successfully executed two "seed" sql scripts for OpenClinica. OpenClinica installation verification failed. I suspected that
Java_Home may not be recognized with it and secondly Catalina_Home may not be recognized neither. Other than datainfo.properties, not sure what are other configuration files that I can set up these these two key variables.
Thanks in advance.
Don
Don
Chunshen Li
Seahawk Innovation Fund

Comments

  • Dear All
    I am unable to download OpenClinica 3.1.4.1 to install on my laptop.
    Any assistance please
    Regards
    Vincent
    On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Don Chunshen Li wrote:
    Hi,
    It seems that your open source clinical trial software depends on three core components, namely, an open source web server (Tomcat here), an open source database management system (postgreSQL or Oracle) and your own ware. I downloaded your 3.1.4.1 version for Windows yesterday and downloaded and installed Tomcat
    however, Tomcat misbehaved, the configure option won't work (access denied) tho the server can be started. Hence, I switch to another web server (Resin) and copied over the web directories and files... In the meantime, I've also downloaded and installed Oracle 10g Express, and successfully executed two "seed" sql scripts for OpenClinica. OpenClinica installation verification failed. I suspected that
    Java_Home may not be recognized with it and secondly Catalina_Home may not be recognized neither. Other than datainfo.properties, not sure what are other configuration files that I can set up these these two key variables.
    Thanks in advance.
    Don
    Don
    Chunshen Li
    Seahawk Innovation Fund
  • ccollinsccollins admin Posts: 379 admin
    Hi Don,
    You'll likely have a big effort getting OpenClinica to work on a
    non-Tomcat webserver - it can be done but is more of a development
    project. I suggest retrying the install from scratch, following the
    instructions at https://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/installation very
    carefully. Also, Oracle will not be supported beyond the 3.1.4.1
    release so I highly recommend using Postgres as your database.
    Vincent - can you describe the problem you're having in more detail?
    When trying to download from
    https://community.openclinica.com/project/openclinica, make sure
    you're logged in with your openclinica.com username and password.
    Best,
    Cal
    On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM, Vincent Samuel wrote:
    > > Dear All
    > >
    > > I am unable to download OpenClinica 3.1.4.1 to install on my laptop.
    > >
    > > Any assistance please
    > >
    > > Regards
    > > Vincent
    > >
    > >
    > > On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 5:50 PM, Don Chunshen Li wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> Hi,
    >> >>
    >> >> It seems that your open source clinical trial software depends on three
    >> >> core components, namely, an open source web server (Tomcat here), an open
    >> >> source database management system (postgreSQL or Oracle) and your own ware.
    >> >> I downloaded your 3.1.4.1 version for Windows yesterday and downloaded and
    >> >> installed Tomcat
    >> >> however, Tomcat misbehaved, the configure option won't work (access
    >> >> denied) tho the server can be started. Hence, I switch to another web
    >> >> server (Resin) and copied over the web directories and files... In the
    >> >> meantime, I've also downloaded and installed Oracle 10g Express, and
    >> >> successfully executed two "seed" sql scripts for OpenClinica. OpenClinica
    >> >> installation verification failed. I suspected that
    >> >> Java_Home may not be recognized with it and secondly Catalina_Home may not
    >> >> be recognized neither. Other than datainfo.properties, not sure what are
    >> >> other configuration files that I can set up these these two key variables.
    >> >>
    >> >> Thanks in advance.
    >> >>
    >> >> Don
    >> >>
    >> >> Don
    >> >> Chunshen Li
    >> >> Seahawk Innovation Fund
    >> >>
    >> >>
  • cra360cra360 Posts: 56
    Hi Cal,
    Thanks for the insightful scoop.
    I've following the OpenClinica Installation Doc. Here's what I did at the core level.
    1) I've re-stalled Tomcat and it's now installed and fully functional and it's installed to C:\oc\tomcat directory.
    2) I've edited the datainfo.properties for database reference for the OpenClinica
    (Oracle 10g Express is up and running).
    However, OpenClinica installation verification failed, that is,
    http://localhost:8080/OpenClinica/
    returns err msg of
    "HTTP Status 404"
    Here's some observation. Normally, a web server has a ROOT directory where all web accessible folders/files reside. Hence, I even copied OpenClinica folder and its subfolders to ROOT as well. And yet still the same error.
    What's wrong? And how could we fix it?
    Best,
    Don
  • cra360cra360 Posts: 56
    Hi Cal,
    I've tamed it. OpenClinica is fully up and running now. And I wonder if there's any sample data or sample EDC database.
    Thanks and cheers,
    Don
  • ccollinsccollins admin Posts: 379 admin
    Don,
    You can download a sample database at
    https://docs.openclinica.com/sites/fileuploads/akaza/cms-docs/3.1-Sample_Database.zip
    I added a link to the Dowloads page
    (https://community.openclinica.com/project/openclinica) so this will
    be easier to find in the future.
    Best,
    Cal
    On Thu, Jan 30, 2014 at 2:09 PM, Don Chunshen Li wrote:
    > > Hi Cal,
    > >
    > > I've tamed it. OpenClinica is fully up and running now. And I wonder if there's any sample data or sample EDC database.
    > >
    > > Thanks and cheers,
    > >
    > > Don
    > >
    > >
  • cra360cra360 Posts: 56
    Cal,
    Thank you very much for the sample db link. I'm experienced with relational database management system such as MS SQL Server but not postgreSQL, and I noticed that my postgreSQL installation has the following Data path,
    C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\data. Two quick questions, where should I extract this db to and
    how do I make this sample db available to the OC system?
    Best,
    Don
  • ccollinsccollins admin Posts: 379 admin
    Hi Don,
    Using the pgAdmin III client to handle these tasks is the easiest
    approach. It comes bundled with Postgres so you should have it
    installed. You can install in on a remote computer and connect from
    there as well.
    Here are some references:
    https://docs.openclinica.com/3.1/technical-documents/system-administration/backup-and-restore-openclinica
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/OpenClinica_User_Manual/BackupAndRestore
    Best
    Cal
    On Sat, Feb 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM, Don Chunshen Li wrote:
    > > Cal,
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for the sample db link. I'm experienced with relational database management system such as MS SQL Server but not postgreSQL, and I noticed that my postgreSQL installation has the following Data path,
    > > C:\Program Files (x86)\PostgreSQL\8.4\data. Two quick questions, where should I extract this db to and
    > > how do I make this sample db available to the OC system?
    > >
    > > Best,
    > >
    > > Don
    > >
    > >
  • cra360cra360 Posts: 56
    Thanks Cal, I'll try it tomorrow.
    Best,
    Don
This discussion has been closed.